Senate Committee on Agenda and Rules
Standing (Reporting Category "A")
|President||Chair, Ex-officio||Joy Johnson|
|Vice-Chair of Senate||Ex-officio. Elected by and from Senate||1 year||May 31, 2023||Stephen Spector|
|Vice-President, Academic||Ex-officio||Wade Parkhouse|
|Registrar and Secretary of Senate
|Secretary, Ex-officio (non-voting)||Tom Nault|
|Senator||Elected by and from Senate||2 years||May 31, 2024||Thecla Schiphorst|
|Senator||2 years||May 31, 2023||Bryan Daniel|
|Senator||2 years||May 31, 2024||Dan Laitsch|
|Student Senator||2 years||May 31, 2023||Abhishek Parmar|
|Student Senator (Alternate)||2 years||May 31, 2024||Priyanka Dhesa|
|Senate Assistant||Recording Secretary, Ex-officio (non-voting)||Steven Noel|
NOTE: In general an "alternate" member is invited to attend meetings when a regular member is not available. Please confirm the role of the alternate member on this committee with the committee secretary.
Terms of Reference
1. To advise the Chair in determining the items for the Open and Closed Agendas of Senate.
2. To recommend to Senate rules and procedures for the conduct of its business.
3. To periodically review the structure and terms of reference of the various standing committees of Senate, and to make recommendations to Senate as appropriate.
4. To consider and take action on behalf of the Senate by referring to the appropriate Senate Committee or Senate all matters that may be referred to Senate by the Board (See Univ. Act, Section 37(q)).
2023 Meeting Schedule
Meets at 12:30 pm in Room 3101 - Strand Hall. SCAR reviews and sets the agenda for each Senate meeting.
|Date of Meeting||Material Deadline – noon||Distribution Date|
|January 24, 2023||January 19, 2023||January 20, 2023|
|February 21, 2023||February 16, 2023||February 17, 2023|
|March 21, 2023||March 16, 2023||March 17, 2023|
|May 2, 2023||April 27, 2023||April 28, 2023|
|May 23, 2023||May 18, 2023||May 19, 2023|
|June 27, 2023||June 22, 2023||June 23, 2023|
|August 29, 2023||August 24, 2023||August 25, 2023|
|September 19, 2023||September 14, 2023||September 15, 2023|
|October 24, 2023||October 19, 2023||October 20, 2023|
|November 21, 2023||November 16, 2023||November 17, 2023|
|December 19, 2023||December 14, 2023||December 15, 2023|
SCAR determined that its objective should be to ensure that items falling under the business of Senate, as determined by The University Act and the Rules of Senate, reach the agenda in a timely and appropriate manner. The following guidelines will be followed by SCAR in its consideration of potential agenda items.
1. The agenda for each meeting of Senate shall include a statement as to the deadline for receipt of potential agenda items for the next meeting of Senate. Committees or individual Senators who wish SCAR to consider the placement of an item on the Senate agenda must submit the item, in writing, to the Secretary of the Senate prior to the deadline date.
2. SCAR will receive and consider the disposition of all such requests.
If it is the decision of SCAR that the item falls under the jurisdiction of Senate as defined by the University Act, and the item is in the proper form for transmission to Senate, the item will appear on the agenda for the next Senate meeting under "Other Business". SCAR may require that additional documentation be provided as a condition of the item going forward on a Senate agenda.
It should be noted that some items such as changes to the Rules of Senate, require that they first appear on the agenda of one meeting as Notices of Motion with discussion and debate to follow at the subsequent meeting.
If it is the decision of SCAR that the item falls appropriately under the terms of reference of one of the standing committees of Senate, SCAR will forward the item to that committee for consideration and subsequent report to SCAR. The individual bringing the item forward shall be informed of the action taken by SCAR and the subsequent disposition of the item by the standing committee. Those items that require further action by Senate or which are "For Information" would come forward to Senate under "Report of Committees".
If it is the decision of SCAR that the item does not fall under the business of Senate as defined by the University Act, the committee or individual proposing the item will be so informed. SCAR will report to Senate on any items declined from the agenda in this manner.
3. To receive, in a timely manner, all proposed new University Policies and all proposed revisions to existing policies (excluding those policies negotiated with employee groups), and to determine which policies should be forwarded to Senate. Senate consideration will take one of the following forms:
For those proposed policies and policy revisions which SCAR determines to fall within Senate's jurisdiction as defined by the University Act.
For those proposed policies and policy revisions which SCAR determines to be of direct interest to Senate and which should be discussed at Senate.
For those proposed policies and policy revisions which SCAR determines should be circulated to Senate for information.
Committee meetings normally are scheduled at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesdays thirteen days in advance of regular Senate meetings.
Note: Motion approved by Senate November 6, 1995 (S.95-62) - Addition to the Rules of Senate Committees:
If in the opinion of a committee chair, a member of the committee fails to attend meetings of that committee on a regular basis, the Chair should discuss his/her concern with the member. If there is no resolution through regular attendance, reasons that are acceptable in the short-term, or the resignation of the member, the Chair may submit, through the Secretary of Senate, a written request to SCAR that the member be removed and a replacement sought. SCAR will advise the member of the request and provide the member with the opportunity to respond. SCAR will decide on the action to be taken and so advise the chair and the member. SCAR will report to Senate annually on such matters in summary form.