Senate Committee on University Teaching and Learning
Standing committee (Reporting Category "B")
|Associate Vice-President, Learning and Teaching||Chair. Ex-officio (non-voting except in case of a tie)||Elizabeth Elle|
|Faculty Member (Applied Sciences)||Elected by Senate||3 years||May 31, 2022||Diana Cukierman|
|Faculty Member (Arts and Social Sciences)||3 years||May 31, 2023||Amanda Watson|
|Faculty Member (Business Admin)||3 years||May 31, 2022||Kathleen Burke|
|Faculty Member (Communication, Art & Technology)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Daniel Ahadi|
|Faculty Member (Education)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Suzanne Smythe|
|Faculty Member (Environment)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Shivanand Balram|
|Faculty Member (Health Sciences)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Mark Lechner|
|Faculty Member (Science)||3 years||May 31, 2023|
|Faculty Senator||Elected by and from Senate||3 years||May 31, 2021||John Stockie|
|Undergraduate Student||Elected by Senate||1 year||May 31, 2021||Yehor Nabokov|
|Graduate Student||Elected by Senate||1 year||May 31, 2021|
|Director, Curriculum & Instruction, Centre for Educational Excellence||Ex-officio (voting)||I-Chant Chiang|
|Director, Learning & Teaching Technology, Centre for Educational Excellence||Ex-officio (voting)|
|Associate Dean of Libraries, Learning and Research Services (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Karen Munro|
|Executive Director, Student Affairs (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Muriel Klemetski|
|Director, Institute for the Study of Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Sheri Fabian|
|Associate Director, Application Services, ITS (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Mike Stanger|
|Recording Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Erin Babingao|
NOTE: In general, a delegate (non-voting) may attend meetings when a regular member is not available with prior notice to the Chair.
Meetings are held monthly. Upcoming 2020 meetings:
- Wednesday, January 8 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 12 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 11 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 8 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 13 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 10 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, September 9 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 14 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, November 18 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, Deceember 9 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm (tentative)
Terms of Reference
- To provide institutional oversight on matters related to teaching and learning. These include but are not limited to educational goals, curriculum development and assessment, teaching and course evaluation processes, instructional development needs, and evolving teaching practices.
- To provide advice, guidance, and support to relevant University bodies and stakeholders on matters related to teaching and learning.
- To consider such matters, related to teaching and learning, referred to the Committee by Senate and its committees.
- The Committee quorum shall be five members.
- The Committee may establish sub-committees to gather information, develop expertise, conduct pilot projects or perform other tasks as assigned.
- Committee meetings shall be open.
- Committee meetings will be held monthly at times established before the beginning of each semester.
- The Committee shall report to Senate in May of each year.
- The Committee shall regularly solicit and review teaching and learning related surveys such as the annual SFU Undergraduate Survey, as well as reports of various units including but not limited to the Centre for Educational Excellence and the Student Learning Commons (SLC).
- The Committee shall regularly communicate with related committees such as the Education Systems Stewardship Committee and the Academic Integrity Committee.