Senate Committee on University Teaching and Learning
Standing committee (Reporting Category "B")
Last updated August 25, 2019
|Faculty Member of SCUTL||Chair. Elected by members of SCUTL||2 years||May 31, 2021|
|Faculty Member (Applied Sciences)||Elected by Senate||3 years||May 31, 2022||Diana Cukierman|
|Faculty Member (Arts and Social Sciences)||3 years||May 31, 2020||Panayiotis Pappas|
|Faculty Member (Business Admin)||3 years||May 31, 2022|
|Faculty Member (Communication, Art & Technology)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Daniel Ahadi|
|Faculty Member (Education)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Kevin O'Neill|
|Faculty Member (Environment)||3 years||May 31, 2021||Shivanand Balram|
|Faculty Member (Health Sciences)||3 years||May 31, 2021|
|Faculty Member (Science)||3 years||May 31, 2020||Julian Christians|
|Faculty Senator||Elected by and from Senate||3 years||May 31, 2021||John Stockie|
|Undergraduate Student||Elected by Senate||1 year||May 31, 2020||Jennifer Chou|
|Graduate Student||Elected by Senate||1 year||May 31, 2020||Shuna Ho|
|Associate Vice-President, Learning and Teaching||Ex-officio (voting)||Elizabeth Elle|
|Director, Teaching and Learning Centre (or designate)||Secretary, Ex-officio (voting)|
|Associate Dean of Libraries, Learning and Research Services (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Karen Munro|
|Executive Director, Student Affairs (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Muriel Klemetski|
|Director, Institute for the Study of Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Sheri Fabian|
|Associate Director, Application Services, ITS (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Mike Stanger|
|Recording Secretary (email@example.com)
||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Eloisa Rios|
Meetings are held monthly. Upcoming 2019 meetings:
- Wednesay, September 11 - 1:30pm to 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 9 - 1:30pm to 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, November 13 - 1:30pm to 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, December 11 - 1:30pm to 3:30 pm
Terms of Reference
- To provide institutional oversight on matters related to teaching and learning. These include but are not limited to educational goals, curriculum development and assessment, teaching and course evaluation processes, instructional development needs, and evolving teaching practices.
- To provide advice, guidance, and support to relevant University bodies and stakeholders on matters related to teaching and learning.
- To consider such matters, related to teaching and learning, referred to the Committee by Senate and its committees.
- The Committee quorum shall be five members.
- The Committee may establish sub-committees to gather information, develop expertise, conduct pilot projects or perform other tasks as assigned.
- Committee meetings shall be open.
- Committee meetings will be held monthly at times established before the beginning of each semester.
- The Committee shall report to Senate in May of each year.
- The Committee shall regularly solicit and review teaching and learning related surveys such as the annual SFU Undergraduate Survey, as well as reports of various units including but not limited to the Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC), the Centre for Online and Distance Education (CODE) and the Student Learning Commons (SLC).
- The Committee shall regularly communicate with related committees such as the Education Systems Stewardship Committee and the Academic Integrity Committee.