Senate Graduate Studies Committee
Standing committee (Reporting Category "B")
For further details about the SGSC, including Minutes and meeting dates, visit:
NOTE: Sign in is required to access faculty and committee info
|Dean and Associate Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies||Chair Ex-officio||Jeff Derksen|
|Associate Dean of Graduate Studies||Ex-officio||
|Associate Director, Graduate Admissions, Records and Registration||Ex-officio||Krista Gerlich-Fitzgerald|
|University Librarian (or designate)||Ex-officio||Nicole White|
|Applied Sciences||Chair, Faculty Graduate Curriculum Committee (or designate)||Parvaneh Saeedi|
|Business Admin.||Andrew Gemino|
|Communication, Art & Technology||Philippe Pasquier|
|Education||Lucy Le Mare|
|Health Sciences||Frank Lee|
|Graduate Student||Elected annually in the Spring Semester by and from graduate students. Post-election vacancies will be filled by election by Senate.||1 year||May 31, 2022||John C. Foerster|
|Graduate Student||Pooya Taheri|
|Graduate Student (Alternate)||Zhiyun Peng|
|Graduate Student (Alternate)||Abdul Zahir|
|GSS Executive representative
|Coordinator, Graduate Academic Programs Policy & Curriculum||Secretary, Ex-officio (non voting)||Daria Babeshko|
||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Ruth Anyankpele (firstname.lastname@example.org)
NOTE: In general an "alternate" member is invited to attend meetings when a regular member is not available. Please confirm the role of the alternate member on this committee with the committee secretary.
2022 Meeting Schedule
|Date of Meeting||Material Deadline|
|January 11, 2022||December 8, 2021|
|February 1, 2022||January 5, 2022|
|*March 8, 2022||February 9, 2022|
|April 12, 2022||March 16, 2022|
|May 10, 2022||April 13, 2022|
|**June 7, 2022||May 11, 2022|
|July 5, 2022||June 8, 2022|
|September 6, 2022||August 10, 2022|
|October 4, 2022||September 7, 2022|
|***November 1, 2022||October 5, 2022|
|December 6, 2022||November 9, 2022|
|TBA||December 7, 2022|
*March 8, 2022 is the last meeting to clear items for the Fall 2022 calendar
**June 7, 2022 is the last meeting to clear items for the Spring 2023 calendar
***November 1, 2022 is the last meeting to clear items for the Summer 2023 calendar
- To maintain the academic standards established by Senate.
- To review and make recommendations to Senate concerning new graduate programs.
- To review and make recommendations to Senate concerning major changes to graduate programs.
- To review and approve all proposed new graduate courses, course deletions, and minor changes to programs. These changes shall be reported to Senate in summary form.
- To administer, review and make recommendations to Senate concerning Graduate General Regulations.
- To consider matters concerning Graduate Studies referred to the Committee, and to make recommendations to the appropriate bodies.
- To consider and decide on policy recommendations concerning graduate course registration, course and program withdrawal procedures, and on the administration of graduate records.
- The Committee quorum shall be the Chair and seven members.
- A voting member of the committee who cannot attend a meeting may send a qualified alternate. For faculty members, this shall be a member of the same Faculty who is qualified to chair his/her Department Graduate Program Committee, selected by the Faculty Graduate Program Committee. For graduate students this shall be a graduate student so elected at Simon Fraser University.
- The Committee may establish sub-committees. With a two-thirds majority vote the Committee may delegate some of its powers defined by the Graduate General Regulations to such sub-committees, or to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Graduate students must be represented on all sub-committees.
- Committee meetings shall be open, except when addressing matters related to privacy of individuals.
- Committee meetings will be held on Tuesdays from 2:00 to 4:00 pm.
- The Committee shall report to Senate in March of each year.
2012 - S.13-63 SGSC Annual Report
2011 - S.12-51 SGSC Annual Report
2010 - S.11-50 SGSC Annual Report
2009 - S.10-48 SGSC Annual Report
2008 - S.09-77 SGSC Annual Report
2007 - S.08-34 SGSC Annual Report
2006 - S.07-36 SGSC Annual Report
2005 - S.06-40 SGSC Annual Report
2004 - S.05-46 SGSC Annual Report
2003 - S.04-34 SGSC Annual Report
2002 - S.03-38 SGSC Annual Report
2001 - S.02-26 SGSC Annual Report