Senate Graduate Studies Committee
Standing committee (Reporting Category "B")
For further details about the SGCS, including Minutes and meeting dates, visit:
|Dean and Associate Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies||Chair Ex-officio||Jeff Derksen|
|Associate Dean of Graduate Studies||Ex-officio||
|Associate Director, Graduate Admissions, Records and Registration||Ex-officio||Krista Gerlich-Fitzgerald|
|University Librarian (or designate)||Ex-officio||Nicole White
|Applied Sciences||Chair, Faculty Graduate Curriculum Committee (or designate)||Parvaneh Saeedi|
|Business Admin.||Andrew Gemino|
|Communication, Art & Technology||Stuart Poyntz|
|Health Sciences||Timothy Beischlag|
|Graduate Student||Elected annually in the Spring Semester by and from graduate students. Post-election vacancies will be filled by election by Senate.||1 year||May 31, 2019||Sarah Lord Ferguson|
|Graduate Student||Shuna Ho|
|Graduate Student (Alternate)|
|Graduate Student (Alternate)||Holly Eksal|
|GSS Executive representative
|Coordinator, Graduate Academic Programs Policy & Curriculum||Secretary, Ex-officio (non voting)||Daria Baeshko|
||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Kathleen Vieira-Ribeiro (email@example.com)
NOTE: In general an "alternate" member is invited to attend meetings when a regular member is not available. Please confirm the role of the alternate member on this committee with the committee secretary.
2019 Meeting Schedule
Meetings for 2019 will be held in LIB 2020, unless otherwise notified.
|Date of Meeting||Material Deadline|
|January 8, 2019||December 13, 2018|
|February 5, 2019||January 17, 2019|
|*March 5, 2019||February 14, 2019|
|April 2, 2019||March 14, 2019|
|May 7, 2019||April 18, 2019|
|**June 4, 2019||May 16, 2019|
|July 9, 2019||June 20, 2019|
|September 10, 2019||August 22, 2019|
|October 8, 2019||September 19, 2019|
|***November 5, 2019||October 17, 2019|
|December 3, 2019||November 14, 2019|
|January 7, 2020||December 12, 2019 (noon)|
*March 5, 2019 is the last meeting to clear items for the Fall 2019 calendar
**June 4, 2019 is the last meeting to clear items for the Spring 2020 calendar
***November 5, 2019 is the last meeting to clear items for the Summer 2020 calendar
- To maintain the academic standards established by Senate.
- To review and make recommendations to Senate concerning new graduate programs.
- To review and make recommendations to Senate concerning major changes to graduate programs.
- To review and approve all proposed new graduate courses, course deletions, and minor changes to programs. These changes shall be reported to Senate in summary form.
- To administer, review and make recommendations to Senate concerning Graduate General Regulations.
- To consider matters concerning Graduate Studies referred to the Committee, and to make recommendations to the appropriate bodies.
- To consider and decide on policy recommendations concerning graduate course registration, course and program withdrawal procedures, and on the administration of graduate records.
- The Committee quorum shall be the Chair and seven members.
- A voting member of the committee who cannot attend a meeting may send a qualified alternate. For faculty members, this shall be a member of the same Faculty who is qualified to chair his/her Department Graduate Program Committee, selected by the Faculty Graduate Program Committee. For graduate students this shall be a graduate student so elected at Simon Fraser University.
- The Committee may establish sub-committees. With a two-thirds majority vote the Committee may delegate some of its powers defined by the Graduate General Regulations to such sub-committees, or to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Graduate students must be represented on all sub-committees.
- Committee meetings shall be open, except when addressing matters related to privacy of individuals.
- Committee meetings will be held on Mondays from 2:30 to 4:30 pm.
- The Committee shall report to Senate in March of each year.
SGSC Meeting date and minutes - maintained by the Dean of Graduate Studies office.
2012 - S.13-63 SGSC Annual Report
2011 - S.12-51 SGSC Annual Report
2010 - S.11-50 SGSC Annual Report
2009 - S.10-48 SGSC Annual Report
2008 - S.09-77 SGSC Annual Report
2007 - S.08-34 SGSC Annual Report
2006 - S.07-36 SGSC Annual Report
2005 - S.06-40 SGSC Annual Report
2004 - S.05-46 SGSC Annual Report
2003 - S.04-34 SGSC Annual Report
2002 - S.03-38 SGSC Annual Report
2001 - S.02-26 SGSC Annual Report