Senate Library Committee
Standing committee (Reporting Category "B")
|Provost (or designate)||Chair, Ex-officio (voting)|
|Associate Vice-President, Research and International||Ex-officio (voting)||Valorie Crooks|
|University Librarian||Secretary, Ex-officio (voting)||Gwen Bird
|Associate Dean of Libraries (on a rotating basis among ADLs)||Ex-officio (non-voting)||2 years||May 31, 2025||Mark Jordan|
|Dean of Lifelong Learning (or designate)||Ex-officio (voting)||Judy Smith|
|Dean and Associate Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies||Ex-officio (voting)||Mary O'Brien|
|Senator||Dual positions SLC/LPAC
Elected by Senate
|2 years||May 31, 2025||Danny Leznoff|
|Senator||2 years||May 31, 2025||Cristina Eftenaru|
|Undergraduate Student||2 years||May 31, 2025||Harkirat Singh Walia|
|Undergraduate Student (Alternate)||2 years||May 31, 2024||Anastasiya Zhukova|
|Graduate Student||2 years||May 31, 2025||Kate Elliot|
|Graduate Student (Alternate)||2 years||May 31, 2024|
|Faculty Member (Applied Sciences)||Elected by Senate||2 years||May 31, 2025||Ljiljana Trajkovic|
|Faculty Member (Arts and Social Sciences)||2 years||May 31, 2024||Michael Everton|
|Faculty Member (Business Admin.)||2 years||May 31, 2024||Geoffrey Poitras|
|Faculty Member (Communication, Art & Technology)||2 years||May 31, 2025||Scott Steedman|
|Faculty Member (Education)||2 years||May 31, 2024|
|Faculty Member (Environment)||2 years||May 31, 2025|
|Faculty Member (Health Sciences)||2 years||May 31, 2025|
|Faculty Member (Science)||2 years||May 31, 2025||Vance Williams|
|Librarian||Elected by Librarian Employee Group||2 years||May 31, 2025||Yolanda Koscielski|
|Library Staff Member||Elected by Library Staff Employee Group||2 years||May 31, 2024||Ward McLean|
|Recording Secretary||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Susie Smith
NOTE: In general an "alternate" member is invited to attend meetings when a regular member is not available. Please confirm the role of the alternate member on this committee with the committee secretary.
Terms of Reference
- Advises the University Librarian on strategy and operations of the Library. The areas of advice include the following:
- liaison between the library and academic programs
- the library needs of students, faculty, staff, and the community
- establishing collections priorities and the alllocation of the library collections budget
- review of library performance data
- review of major changes in library strategy, systems or operations
- promotion to the campus community of the library's services, collections, and expertise
- monitoring the continuing response to regular external reviews of the library, which are conducted every seven years
- Advises the Provost on matters relating to the size of the Library budget.
- Recommends substantive changes in library policies.
- Advises the University Librarian on SFU copyright policies and related education, technology and communication issues.
- Reports to Senate annually concerning its activities and the operation of the Library.
The Senate Library Committee meets 1-2 times per semester on a Monday from 2:30pm - 4pm. The dates are usually set at the beginning of the semester.
A quorum shall be seven voting members.