Senate Committee on University Priorities
Standing (Reporting Category "A")
|Vice-President, Academic||Chair, Ex-officio||Jon Driver|
|Dean and Associate Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (or designate)||Ex-officio||Jeff Derksen|
|Dean||Selected by the Deans and
the University Librarian
|Representation rotated on a two-year basis||May 31, 2021||Julia Denholm|
|Dean||May 31, 2020||Tania Bubela|
|Dean||May 31, 2020||Susan O'Neill|
|Vice-President, Research||Ex-officio||Joy Johnson
|Associate Vice-President, Academic||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Wade Parkhouse|
|Registrar and Executive Director,
Student Enrolment (or designate)
|Ex-officio (non-voting)||Rummana Khan Hemani|
|Faculty Senator (Applied Sciences)||Elected By Senate *
||2 years||May 31, 2020||Glenn Chapman|
|Faculty Senator (Arts and Social Sciences)||2 years||May 31, 2020||Elise Chenier|
|Faculty Senator (Bus. Admin.)||2 years||May 31, 2020||Peter Tingling|
|Faculty Senator (Communication, Art
|2 years||May 31, 2021||
|Faculty Senator (Education)||2 years||May 31, 2021||Daniel Laitsch|
|Faculty Senator (Environment)||2 years||May 31, 2020||Tracy Brennand|
|Faculty Senator (Health Sciences)||2 years||May 31, 2021|
|Faculty Senator (Science)||2 years||May 31, 2021||Charles Walsby|
|Undergraduate Student Senator||Elected by Senate||1 year||May 31, 2020||Russell Dunsford|
|Undergraduate Student Senator||1 year||May 31, 2020||Colin Fowler|
|Undergraduate Student Senator||1 year||May 31, 2020||Abhishek Parmar|
|Undergraduate Student Senator(Alternate)||1 year||May 31, 2020|
|Graduate Student Senator||1 year||May 31, 2020|
|Graduate Student Senator (Alternate)||1 year||May 31, 2020|
|Convocation Senator||Elected by Senate||3 years||May 31, 2020||Tracey Leacock|
|Director, Office of Institutional Research and Planning||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Zareen Naqvi
|Chief Information Officer||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Mark Roman|
|Director, University Curriculum||Secretary ex-officio (non-voting)||Kelli Whittle|
|Coordinator, University Curriculum
||Recording Secretary ex-officio (non-voting)||Bal Basi|
* In the event that a Faculty Senator is unable to attend a meeting of SCUP, the Faculty Dean is authorized to appoint a replacement.
NOTE: In general an "alternate" member is invited to attend meetings when a regular member is not available. Please confirm the role of the alternate member on this committee with the committee secretary.
2020 Meeting Schedule
SCUP meetings will be held on Wednesdays from 2:00 - 4:00 in AQ 6106. Occasionally meetings may be cancelled so please confirm meeting dates with Recording Secretary, Bal Basi, at email@example.com
|Date of Meeting (2020)
||Material Deadline||Distribution Date|
|January 8, 2020||December 13, 2019||January 2, 2020|
|January 22, 2020||January 10, 2020||January 16, 2020|
|February 5, 2020||January 24, 2020||January 30, 2020|
|February 19, 2020||February 7, 2020||February 13, 2020|
|March 11, 2020||February 28, 2020||March 5, 2020|
|April 22, 2020||April 9, 2020||April 16, 2020|
|May 13, 2020||May 1, 2020||May 7, 2020|
|June 3, 2020||May 22, 2020||May 28, 2020|
|July 15, 2020||July 3, 2020||July 9, 2020|
|September 9, 2020||August 28, 2020||September 3, 2020|
|September 23, 2020||September 11, 2020||September 17, 2020|
|October 7, 2020||September 25, 2020||October 1, 2020|
|Octobr 21, 2020||October 9, 2020||October 15, 2020|
|November 4, 2020||October 23, 2020||October 29, 2020|
|November 18, 2020||November 6, 2020||November 12, 2020|
|December 2, 2020||November 20, 2020||November 26, 2020|
Quorum - Six Members
Committee meetings normally are scheduled monthly on Wednesday at 2pm with adjournment not later than 5pm.
SCUP reports to Senate in May of each year.
Terms of Reference
- To be responsible for the operation of the system of academic planning established in the Senate Guidelines for Academic Plans.
- To recommend the priorities that should be attached to the central allocation of resources required to implement approved new programs and strengthen existing programs.
- To review and approve letters of intent for submission to the provincial program review process.
- To consider and make recommendations to Senate on proposals for new undergraduate and graduate programs and the discontinuance of programs.
- To be responsible for the operation of the system of external review of academic units set out in the Senate Guidelines for External Reviews.
- To receive and review recommendations for the establishment and disestablishment of academic departments and research units, and centres and institutes under Policy R40.01, and forward recommendations to Senate.
- To provide advice to the President on the annual operating budget, annual capital budget, and Five Year Capital Plan before they are submitted to the Board of Governors for their approval. In carrying out this responsibility, SCUP will:
- Maintain an overview and familiarity with the operating and capital funds of the University, with the current financial environment, and with financial opportunities and constraints impacting the University.
- Consult with the university community concerning the preparation of the operating and capital budgets.
- Have provided to it confidential and non-confidential budgetary and related documentation as required to assist in the conduct of its work. (Guidelines for SCUP budget considerations - see Senate Paper S.01-29.)
2011/2012 - S.12-75 SCUP Annual Report
2010/2011 - S.11-65 SCUP Annual Report
2009/2010 - S.10-77 SCUP Annual Report
2008/2009 - S.09-70 SCUP Annual Report
2007/2008 - S.08-68 SCUP Annual Report
2006/2007 - S.07-73 SCUP Annual Report
2005/2006 - S.06-64 SCUP Annual Report
2004/2005 - S.05-70 SCUP Annual Report
2003/2004 - S.04-38 SCUP Annual Report