Scholarships recognize outstanding academic achievement. Scholarships are available to Canadian and International students. If you are awarded a scholarship, Financial Aid and Awards will notify you in writing. Due to the high volume of applications received each term, payment of funds may not occur until the middle of the term of application. We encourage you to plan accordingly.
To apply for a scholarships you must:
- have completed at least 12 units of standard graded courses
- be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units of standard graded courses at SFU in the term of application.
- have a minimum CGPA of 3.50 at SFU and be in good academic standing.
Please note that 3 Unit Co-op is not a standard graded course. Challenge, audit and credit-free courses are not considered.
A student with a disability is eligible to apply for scholarships if the student is enrolled in a minimum of 6 or more units of standard graded courses and meets all other eligibility requirements. The student has to provide a letter from SFU’s Centre for Students with Disabilities at the time of application.
A student holding an SFU entrance award is eligible to apply for all other University administered scholarships.
A student holding an SFU entrance scholarship is not eligible for any other University administered scholarship until the entrance scholarship is fully paid out. This policy applies to any term in which an entrance scholarship is deferred.
How to apply
- Check the application period and final deadline at Application Deadlines.
- Apply online by logging in to the Student Information System (go.sfu.ca).
- Click on "Student Center".
- Go to Financial Aid and Awards (under Finances).
- Click on "Apply for Scholarships/Awards".
- List the scholarships/awards you want to apply for on your online application.
- Complete and submit your application.
- Submit supporting documentation by the application deadline.
Scholarships administered by:
To find a PDF list of available scholarships and awards for the current or upcoming term, please see under 'How to Apply'.
Along with academic merit, many of these scholarships have additional criteria that must be met in order for you to qualify. For a complete listing, check out our online Scholarship, Awards, and Bursaries database.
External to SFU
SFU does not administer external scholarships, awards and bursaries directly; therefore, such opportunities are not included in the database.
Information on our External Awards & Additional Resources handout is provided for general information purposes only. Students are responsible for researching eligibility requirements and deadlines.