- About Us
- Faisal Beg – Algorithms to Advance Research in Medicine
- Yasutaka Furukawa – Smart Building Technologies to Enhance Living Spaces and Create Opportunities
- Mo Chen – AI to Create Safe and Practical Robotics
- Sheelagh Carpendale – Understanding Data Through Interaction and Visualization
- Innovation to Improve 3D Navigation
- Voice AI is Helping Shoppers Make Better Decisions
- Geographic Information Science Can Help Better Track COVID-19
- Deep Learning to Inform Medical Diagnoses
- Protecting Killer Whales from Marine Traffic
- Using Big Data to Boost Athletic Performance
- Machine Reading for Literary Texts
- Finding a Cure for HIV with Big Data
- Linked Data for Women's History
- How Big Data Can Combat Fake News
- Algorithms for Safer Streets
- Discovering Wilde Data
- Deep Blue Data
- Big Data Meets Big Impact
- Previous Next Big Question Fund Projects
- Data Fellowships
- Using Data
- Upcoming Events
How SFU is Using Big Data
Algorithms to make crosswalks safer. Spatial analytics to win more games. Data mining to save marine species at risk. We’re not just leveraging digital tools, we’re putting data to work to generate new knowledge and solve global problems. Learn how people at SFU are using big data to empower their research, teaching and community partnerships for real world impact.
See how SFU researchers are creating a new computational platform that could boost the smart building market.
Explore how SFU researchers are improving data collection to create practical robots that help people in their daily lives.
Learn about how SFU researchers are improving data accessibility through the creation of data visualization technologies.
Read how SFU researchers are creating news ways to navigate virtual reality.
Read about how SFU researchers are exploring the popularity of shopping via home voice bots.
Read how SFU scientists are studying better ways to track COVID-10 cases.
Read how Deep Learning can support medical professionals regarding cancer diagnosis and treatment.
See how SFU researchers are developing a model that uses real-time acoustic data to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales from collisions with marine vessels.
Learn how David Clarke and his team are harnessing the power of big data on the athletic field.
See how Professor Margaret Linley is taking on the challenge of developing machine reading techniques for the literary analysis of texts.
Learn how Zabrina Brumme and her team are bringing HIV cure research into the big data age.
See how Michelle Levy and her team are highlighting the rich history of women in print with big data.
See how Maite Taboada and her team are combining linguistics, big data and machine learning to address fake news and toxic comments online.
See how Greg Mori's algorithms translate massive amounts of video and image data into valuable information for decision making, like designing safer crosswalks.
Learn how professor Colette Colligan and her team are creating digital tools that enable new ways of interacting with historic literature.
Discover how professor Nick Dulvy harnesses data captured around the world to reveal what’s happening under the ocean and save species at risk.
Find out how four SFU students disrupted the financial industry at Canada’s largest bank.