- About Us
- Faisal Beg – Algorithms to Advance Research in Medicine
- Yasutaka Furukawa – Smart Building Technologies to Enhance Living Spaces and Create Opportunities
- Mo Chen – AI to Create Safe and Practical Robotics
- Sheelagh Carpendale – Understanding Data Through Interaction and Visualization
- Innovation to Improve 3D Navigation
- Voice AI is Helping Shoppers Make Better Decisions
- Geographic Information Science Can Help Better Track COVID-19
- Deep Learning to Inform Medical Diagnoses
- Protecting Killer Whales from Marine Traffic
- Using Big Data to Boost Athletic Performance
- Machine Reading for Literary Texts
- Finding a Cure for HIV with Big Data
- Linked Data for Women's History
- How Big Data Can Combat Fake News
- Algorithms for Safer Streets
- Discovering Wilde Data
- Deep Blue Data
- Big Data Meets Big Impact
- Previous Next Big Question Fund Projects
- Data Fellowships
- Using Data
- Upcoming Events
Simon Fraser University is home to a range of institutes and initiatives that helps you uncover new insights in your data
The Vancouver Institute for Visual Analytics
The Vancouver Institute for Visual Analytics (VIVA) helps people take masses of data in forms that are not often clear and explore it interactively by transforming the data into meaningful visualizations, revealing hidden patterns and problem solutions. As a multidisciplinary research institute, VIVA promotes visual analytics and provides training in visual analytics tools, techniques and theory. VIVA also connects students and researchers with industry to help people from all sectors solve data problems using visual analytics.
What We Do:
- Provide training on visual analytics tools, techniques and theory
- Connects students and researchers with industry
- Work with you to discovery how to visualize data to better deliver research results to your organization
Director | Lyn Bartram
The Centre for Operations Research and Decision Sciences
The Centre for Operations Research and Decision Sciences (CORDS) focuses on research in the area of operations research: the science of optimal decision-making. Members undertake both basic and applied research, and collaborate with industry by consulting and facilitating student internships. The Complex Systems Modelling Group (CSMG), a part of CORDS, is an interdisciplinary research group that provides cutting edge mathematical modelling, business analytics, data analysis, data synthesis, and simulation modelling for strategic and operational planning.
CSMG Director/CORDS Acting Director | Sandy Rutherford
The Omics Data Science Initiative
The Omics Data Science Initiative (ODSI) responds to the growing needs for computational methods for the study of life sciences, in particular in the areas of public health microbiology and precision medicine. ODSI provides a centralized collaborative platform to support researchers and students through shared facilities, advance knowledge mobilization and technology transfer, and facilitate cross-sector collaborations with external partners.
The Statistical Consulting Service
The Statistical Consulting Service (SCS) provides expert statistical advice to individuals involved in data-based research projects, and facilitates access to a variety of modern computing facilities and software. Formed in 1980, SCS promotes effective links between academic statisticians and applied researchers across academia, industry and government. SCS operates on a cost-recovery basis.
What We Do:
- Design of experiments or surveys
- Sample size determination
- Suggest software for statistical analysis
- Advise on graphical data summaries
- Suggest inferential techniques when appropriate
- Assess study protocols in grant applications
- Advise on quality assurance and reliability methods
- Offer short courses
Director | Ian Bercovitz
SFU Library offers a wealth of services for students, faculty, staff and people outside of the university. These include:
- A range of workshops that offer hands-on experience with data methods, tools and platforms.
- Research data management (RDM) is a service that supports researchers across all stages of the data lifecycle, ensuring researchers can increase the visibility of their data, maintain data integrity, improve access to or re-use of data, and recognize any roadblocks in the initial stages of research.
- Data and Statistics / GIS and Maps helps researchers in finding and using data and statistics including microdata files, statistical resources, and quantitative survey research data as well as Geographic Information Systems including geospatial data and maps.
Librarian for Data Services and Government Information | Carla Graebner
The Digital Humanities Innovation Lab
The Digital Humanities Innovation Lab (DHIL) fosters collaboration and interdisciplinarity to promote the development and dissemination of high-quality research that positions SFU as a world leader in digital scholarship. Located in the W.A.C. Bennett Library at SFU's Burnaby Campus and utilizing meeting space at the Vancouver and Surrey Campuses, DHIL represents an opportunity to align research in the Digital Humanities with the Library’s expertise in digital initiatives, unique special collections and research skill-development programming.
What We Do:
- Assist SFU researchers with the development of digital scholarship research
- Provide research and technical consultations
- Provide research software development and technical support to faculty and graduate students
- Provide free digital humanities skills workshops
IT Services Research Computing Group
IT Services Research Computing Group (RCG) facilitates access to a number of IT services to best support your research activities, including access to high performance computing installations and large-scale storage solutions. The RCG supports the research activities of Canadian researchers and their collaborators. Any researcher, not just “big” users, has access to these services, which includes utilization of the SFU Data Centre.
What We Do:
- Provide expertise regarding specific software packages;
- Facilitate access to high performance computing installations and large-scale storage facilities
- Provides assistance in analyzing, designing, and procuring IT software and hardware for projects (subject to staff availability);
- Provides project management support (subject to staff availability); and
- Provides assistance with preparing the IT section of grant proposals.
Director | Martin Siegert