- About Us
- Faisal Beg – Algorithms to Advance Research in Medicine
- Yasutaka Furukawa – Smart Building Technologies to Enhance Living Spaces and Create Opportunities
- Mo Chen – AI to Create Safe and Practical Robotics
- Sheelagh Carpendale – Understanding Data Through Interaction and Visualization
- Innovation to Improve 3D Navigation
- Voice AI is Helping Shoppers Make Better Decisions
- Geographic Information Science Can Help Better Track COVID-19
- Deep Learning to Inform Medical Diagnoses
- Protecting Killer Whales from Marine Traffic
- Using Big Data to Boost Athletic Performance
- Machine Reading for Literary Texts
- Finding a Cure for HIV with Big Data
- Linked Data for Women's History
- How Big Data Can Combat Fake News
- Algorithms for Safer Streets
- Discovering Wilde Data
- Deep Blue Data
- Big Data Meets Big Impact
- Previous Next Big Question Fund Projects
- Data Fellowships
- Using Data
- Avoid and Detect
- Data For Good
- Artificial Intelligence at SFU
- Cybersecurity and Resilience
- Security and Resilience
- Gender Gap Tracker
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality
- Upcoming Events
Voice AI is Helping Shoppers Make Better Decisions
SFU researchers are exploring the popularity of home voice bots like Google Assistant, Amazon’s Alexa, and Apple’s Siri and discovering what effects AI-influenced shopping is having on the marketplace.
A thought leader on consumer behaviour and advertising, Simon Fraser University's Beedie School of Business professor Judy Zaichkowsky assembled a research team that included professor Philipp Klaus from the University of Monaco, and together they have published several scholarly articles.
As home voice bots like Amazon's Alexa have become more affordable, online voice command shopping has reached new levels of popularity. When it comes to routine purchases such as ordering shampoo or other household staples, people love the convenience and ease of using voice technology.
Retailers and manufacturers are no longer marketing their wares to human customers but to the trusted bots influencing their decisions.
AI can help a customer narrow down their needs to what’s most important. In fact, consumers are moving towards trusting AI to make better decisions than they can. And they may trust AI to make better recommendations than their human counterparts, since over time the AI voice bot gathers data about the users’ preferences.
“Voice assistants have exploded during the pandemic, and many people are relying on this type of shopping. After working all day, people are tired of looking at screens,” say Zaichkowsky.