Communicate clearly with any audience
Demand is growing for plain language specialists who can strip away bureaucratic lingo and communicate effectively with the public. Our plain language courses and certificate program will allow you to develop your skills in this critical communication area and apply them immediately to any work setting.
- Take fully online courses on a flexible schedule
- Learn from established industry professionals
- Develop a professional network of peers
Take our plain language courses one at a time to suit your work schedule.
View plain language courses:
29 Plain Language Final Project PLNL410 PLNL410-ON1197
5 Plain Language Principles PLNL110 PLNL110-ON11972
5 Plain Language in Health Literacy PLNL520 PLNL520-ON1197
12 Plain Graphics and Design PLNL310 PLNL310-ON1197
14 Plain Language Principles PLNL110 PLNL110-ON12011
21 Writing Plain Language for Law PLNL510 PLNL510-ON1201
11 Plain Graphics and Design PLNL310 PLNL310-ON1201
31 Plain Language Principles PLNL110 PLNL110-ON12012
12 Advanced User Analysis PLNL320 PLNL320-ON1204
7 Plain Language Principles PLNL110 PLNL110-ON12041
4 Writing Plain Language for Law PLNL510 PLNL510-ON1204
Finish in 1 year
Our hands-on Plain Language Certificate can help you develop in-demand plain language skills in as little as one year.
You'll learn to:
- Write and edit information following plain language principles
- Target communications to specific audiences
- Work with graphic designers to produce effective communication pieces
- Analyze and improve communications for clarity
Through your choice of electives, you can add specialized training in plain language for legal, health or technical settings.
Is this program for you?
We’ve designed our certificate for professionals in fields ranging from publishing and marketing to government and law. Our students include:
- Writers and editors expanding their skills
- Marketing and communications professionals
- Graphic designers
- Public service providers