Plain Language Certificate
Do you need to communicate complex information? From government to health care to law, demand is growing for plain language specialists in a variety of work settings. In our online certificate program, you’ll learn practical techniques to strip away jargon and bureaucratese and produce clear, accessible writing that speaks directly to your intended audience.
Why this program?
- Gain the knowledge to work as a plain language specialist
- Build specialized writing skills in your choice of areas, such as health or law
- Learn from experienced plain language practitioners
- Take fully online courses on a flexible schedule
- Start with individual courses and apply to the program at any time
- Graduate with a certificate that confers SFU alumni status
1–5 years (from start date of first course)
To graduate, complete all courses with a minimum average grade of B- (70%).
3–10 weeks (9–30 instructional hours)
Self-paced within set deadlines
Elective courses (minimum 20 hours; choose from list):
See individual courses for textbook details
$350–$930/course, not including textbooks
$75 program application fee
Register for individual courses at any time, with the option to apply to the program later.
Enroll in the certificate program to:
- Track your progress in your student account
- Access potential tax credits
- Be eligible to graduate when you finish
Between managing two businesses and pursuing both SFU’s Plain Language Certificate and Indigenous Business Leadership Executive MBA at once, Angie Saltman has plenty to keep her busy.
Erin Klingmann is so passionate about ensuring government communication materials are clear and accessible that she’s carved out a career for herself doing exactly that.
Denise Mullen has been writing for over 30 years, but she still sees room for improvement. As a self-identified ‘continuous learner’ she invested in the Plain Language Certificate program to bolster her writing ability in the workplace.