Technical Communication Certificate
Apply your writing and editing skills to a successful career in the growing technical communication field. Our online certificate program will provide you with the tools and techniques you need to translate complex information into easily understood documents, following professional standards.
Why this program?
- Gain the core competencies identified by the Society for Technical Communication
- Learn from established technical communicators working in the field
- Take fully online courses on a flexible schedule
- Start with individual courses and apply to the program at any time
- Graduate with a certificate that confers SFU alumni status along with its benefits
2–5 years (from start date of first course)
To graduate, complete all courses with a minimum average grade of B- (70%).
4–12 weeks (12–20 instructional hours)
Self-paced within set deadlines
- Concepts and Practice of Technical Communication (TCOM110)
- Technical Writing and Editing (TCOM120)
- Research, Analysis and Information Design (TCOM210)
- Design and Production of Technical Publications (TCOM220)
- Indexing: An Essential Art and Science (TCOM230)
- Microsoft Word for Technical Writers: Advanced (TCOM240)
- Fundamentals of Creating Online Documents (TCOM260)
- Tools for Technical Communicators: Introduction to Adobe InDesign (TCOM270)
- Technical Writing: Advanced Workshop (TCOM310)
- Documentation Project Management (TCOM320)
- Final Project: Technical Communication Guided Practicum (TCOM410)
See individual courses for textbook details
$475–$630/course, not including textbooks
$75 program application fee
No application deadline. Take individual courses and apply to the program at any time.
Register for individual courses at any time, with the option to apply to the program later.
Enroll in the certificate program to:
- Track your progress in your student account
- Access potential tax credits
- Be eligible to graduate when you finish