- Learn More
- Arts & Social Sciences
- Beedie School of Business
- Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology
- Computing Science
- Contemporary Arts
- Engineering Science
- Health Sciences
- Interactive Arts & Technology
- Mechatronic Systems Engineering
- Sustainable Energy Engineering
- Software Systems
- Co-op Abroad
- Contact Us
- SIGN IN TO MYEXPERIENCE ↗
- HIRE OUR STUDENTS ↗
- CO-OP STAFF RESOURCES
Thank you for your interest in the SFU Software Systems (SOSY) Co-operative Education Program.
SOSY Co-op is an optional program for undergraduate students to gain paid work experience within a professional setting. In order to prepare our Co-op students to be successful, SOSY Co-op students need to have experiences outside of the classroom such as part time work, volunteer or club experience in advance of their first semester applying to Co-op jobs. Some previous experience, while not necessarily paid, is important to Co-op employers when considering applicants to apply for jobs.
Co-op is a great way to gain experience working at many great companies. Here are some of the places SOSY Co-op students have worked:
- Large Companies: Electronic Arts, Google, Microsoft, SAP, Intel, Amazon, LinkedIn and Samsung
- Small to medium size companies: Safe Software, Demonware, Avigilon, Absolute Software, Simba and Visier
Apply to co-op at https://www.sfu.ca/coop/apply.html or book an appointment with the SOSY co-op coordinators to discuss your options.
Software Systems Student
The Software Systems Co-op program is designed for full-time (minimum of 9 units) undergraduate and post-baccalaureate diploma students. Transfer students, direct entry high school students, international students, and mature students are all welcome to apply to the program. You can apply at any time throughout the year to Software Systems Co-op and as early as your first year. In order for a student to be eligible for the program, they need to have a declared major in Software Systems and a minimum CGPA of 2.5.
To complete the program and obtain a Co-op Designation, undergraduate students must be willing and able to commit to a minimum of 3 Co-op work semesters prior to graduation, respectively. Co-op students alternate studies and work semesters before returning for at least one final semester of academic courses. (PBD and Second Degree students should contact their coordinator after being admitted to confirm their specific requirements.)
- 30 - 60 units: you are eligible to apply
- over 90 units: connect with a SOSY co-op coordinator
Keep in mind:
- Complete the NEW student requirements at least two semesters before undertaking your first co-op work term.
- Complete at least 3 work terms before completing your degree.
Work Permits (International Students)
International students are required to obtain a valid Co-op work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before applying to SFU Co-op jobs. Once accepted into the Co-op program, you will be issued a letter to include in your work permit application. We recommend applying for the work permit as early as possible, as processing times can be lengthy.
|Work in Summer
|Work in Fall
|Work in Spring