Where do I find updated information about Covid-19?

Please keep yourself informed on the current issue, Covid-19, by following this page at https://www.sfu.ca/coop/covid19.html.

For information regarding funding to hire a SFU Co-op student please link to this page: https://www.sfu.ca/hire/summer/funding.html.

Is there any funding support to hire Co-op students during Covid-19?

Updates from ICTC:

Starting today, colleges and universities are now eligible to receive WIL funding as any other employer. Colleges, universities can pay students for work in ICT - Information and Communication Technology roles and can have the wages be refunded up to 70% by ICTC.

In addition to this, ESDC has also approved four other measures for eligible employers including:

  1. Flexibility with start and end dates as well as the duration of the placement(s).
  2. Working remotely in a safe environment, from the students home or other self-isolated area is now allowed.
  3. 75% of the wage subsidy will be issued up front upon contract signing and balance will be paid to employer upon completion of the placement. Wage subsidy remains 50% up to $5,000 or 70% up to $7,000.
  4. Employers’ applications will be pre-approved before the employer has selected a student to hire. Final approval will be issued when the eligible student has submitted his/her completed application.
  5. Visit ICTC page for more information: https://www.wil-ait.digital/en/

Updates from BC Innovates:

In line with adaptations made by co-op departments, the BC Tech Co-op Grants Program is open to flexible working conditions (i.e. remote work) and placements of less than 16 weeks. Companies can qualify for the grant as long as they are in line with the requirements of the co-op departments. If any of the program requirements are barriers to hiring or retaining students during this time, we are open to making adjustments, if necessary, on a case by case basis.

Grant Stacking Opportunities
Below is a list of Canadian hiring programs which have confirmed that companies can stack our grants with theirs such that the total grant amount may cover 100% of the student's salary. Please be reminded that the combined value of grants cannot exceed the student's salary.

To view more information, including eligibility requirements, visit the InnovateBC webpage to read the Program Guidelines.

Important Dates

What is the deadline to self-enrol in the SOSY Co-op Seeking Course?

The co-op office will send co-op students an email at the beginning of every semester with instructions on how to be eligible to apply for co-op jobs.

Deadlines to self-enrol in the SOSY Seeking Canvas Course are below:

Seek for Fall: March 15 – April 1
Seek for Spring: July 15 – August 1
Seek for Summer: November 15 – December 1

In order to receive emails from the co-op office about important dates, subscribe to the sosy-coop@sfu.ca mail list.

General SOSY Students Questions

What are the requirements to apply a SOSY Co-op?

  • At least 2.50 CGPA
  • You may apply after 30 units (student over 90 units will be required to meet with a coordinator).
  • New students are required to apply at least 2 terms before the semester they intend to do their first co-op work term.

Can I apply to Co-op if I don't meet 2.50 CGPA?

You are required to obtain a 2.50 CGPA in order to be accepted to the Co-op program. If your CGPA is below 2.50, we suggest you work to raise your CGPA and apply to Co-op once you meet the requirement.

What CGPA do I need to maintain to stay in Co-op?

The minimum GPA requirement to remain in the co-op program is 2.50 CGPA.

I applied but I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting for the email, when will I get the email?

Upon receiving your application form, you will be contacted via your SFU email, within 10 business days to advise you of your Conditional Approval to the program. After 10 business days if you have not heard from the co-op office, please email fascoop@sfu.ca.

Do I need CMPT 275/276 to apply to the program? What if I can't get into CMPT 275/276?

CMPT 276 is no longer a requirement to seek for a Co-op placement.

I am a CMPT second degree student, how many co-ops do I need to do to get the co-op designation?

You should plan for at least 3 co-op terms to complete the co-op program and receive the co-op designation on your degree, which is recognized across Canada.

What are the second degree requirements for Co-op?

Requirements are the same for all students entering co-op.

New Students Questions

How do I book an appointment with a coordinator or an advisor?

To speak with a coordinator or advisor, you must book an appointment with them by email. Coordinators and advisors are not always available for walk-ins.

To determine your coordinator please refer to our contacts page.

How do I opt-in the seeking group?

Every term, co-op staff sends out an email with links to Canvas courses to self- enrol. You need to self-enrol in this course and complete the assignments, as directed, for every term you intend to seek. Please note that you can opt-out of the seeking course at any time, but you will not be able to opt-in past the deadline each semester.

If I attend the workshops a few terms before my seeking term, do I have to attend the workshops again?

No, you are only required to attend the workshops once. Therefore, if you attend the workshops a few terms before your seeking term, you do not have to attend again. You are welcome to attend them again if you wish further review.

How many Co-op terms do I need to complete?

You should plan for at least 3 co-op terms to complete the co-op program and receive the co-op designation on your degree.

What is the application fee?

Similar to applying into university, there is an application fee for applying into co-op. This is a one-time cost that is applied to your goSFU account and must be paid within 10 days of receiving your acceptance letter into the co-op program.

Please visit here for more information. If you are not accepted into the co-op program, your application fee is refunded.

Where does my co-op tuition go?

Just like tuition for academic courses, your Co-op tuition goes directly to SFU general revenue. It does not go to the Co-op office and it does not cover the cost of operating the Co-op program. There is no correlation between Co-op placement numbers and Co-op's operating budget or staff salaries.

Please visit here for more information.

I am a transfer student from an other institution. How does this affect my application?

The best time to apply to co-op is around 45 credits. As a transfer student, we recommend waiting at least one semester before joining the co-op program. Focus your energy in your first semester on having a successful transition to the curriculum and expectation.

Seeking Students Questions

Can I find my own Co-op?

If you are interested in finding your own co-op job, you can discuss strategies with your Co-op Coordinator. By taking a proactive approach, you can increase your opportunities and find the job that is right for you, or target a specific industry or location. You may use your own connections such as family and friends, current employers, or people you meet through networking. You could also be monitoring other job boards and submitting applications independently. To meet the co-op requirements, a student must be paid minimum wage or above, work 420 hours minimum, be supervised, and should be in your area of study or related to your career aspirations. Find more details about Self-Directed Work Terms.

How many jobs should I be applying?

We recommend that new students apply to 30 - 60 positions throughout the term and senior students to be actively applying throughout the term. This can take 7-12 hours a week and can be compared to taking another course.

Where can I practice interviews?

  • Practice on your own or with a friend using questions from the OLC Interview Questions Database.
  • Use Interview Stream as an interview practice tool. Here you can record yourself answering interview questions and then reflect on your performance.
  • Book a practice interview with your Co-op Advisor or Coordinator.

What to do after I receive a job offer?

If an offer was sent directly to you from the employer, please notify fascoop@sfu.ca. As long as the FAS co-op office is aware of your offer, you will receive a placement email with information and instructions. 

Please follow-up with fascoop@sfu.ca if you do not receive the placement email within a few weeks of accepting your offer.

What do I enrol in if I have a work term outside of the Lower Mainland?

If an employer directly sends you an offer, please notify your coordinator. The Co-op Office will enroll you into your co-op practicum on your behalf in sections D400 (Rest of Canada) or I100 (International).

What do I do if an employer contacts me directly for an interview or job offer?

If an employer contacts you directly, you must notify the FAS co-op office right away. Please email your coordinator or fascoop@sfu.ca with the interview or offer details and they will provide you with instructions for your next steps.

Working Students Questions

Can I take a course while on a co-op work term?

We do not recommend taking a course during a work term. When on a Co-op work term, your priority and commitment must be to the employer. If your employer is open to letting you take one course while you are working, you must submit the CMPT Co-op Appeal Forms for Instructor and Employer to the school for approval.

Who do I contact if I’m having issues in my co-op work environment?

Physical work environments need to be safe, clean and appropriate to the work; if you are unsure, then check the FAQ section of BC Employment Standards: this might help you to have a discussion with your coworkers or supervisor.  If this does not answer your questions or you feel uncomfortable about approaching your coworkers or supervisor, contact your coordinator to discuss the details of the issue.

Can I leave a co-op job if it’s not working for me?

Before you do anything, contact your Coordinator. They will be able to answer your questions and ask you some relevant questions to problem-solve the situation or give you guidance on what actions you can take, and the consequences incurred as a result.

What do I do if I can’t enrol in my co-op course?

There are a few things that maybe happening. It could be that it is too late in the semester for you to register, in which case let us know and we can register for you. You may be trying to register for the wrong course; each work term number is sequential. One of the most common issues seems to be fees still owing. If you have any outstanding fees, they need to be paid in full before you can enroll in a co-op work term.

Can I be exempt from a site visit?

One of the requirements for each of your Co-op work terms is the site visit. It’s important for us to check in with you and your Supervisor approximately ½ way through each 4-month Co-op work term. If you are concerned about the site visit, you should speak with your Coordinator about it.