- YABOME GILPIN-JACKSON NAMED SFU’S FIRST VICE-PRESIDENT, PEOPLE, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
- Message from the Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion
- Personnel updates in the VPPEI Portfolio
- Fall 2022 update from the Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion
- Supporting members of SFU's Iranian community
- Equity Compass conversations
- STATEMENT FROM THE VP, PEI: ADDRESSING RACISM AND HATE AT SFU
- Updates from the VP People, Equity and Inclusion
Applications Invited to the EDI Advisory Council
In 2020, we established SFU’s first Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Advisory Council. This pan-university group provides guidance on how to strengthen SFU’s commitment to fostering an inclusive workplace, learning environments and equitable opportunities for all.
The EDI Advisory Council is composed of students, faculty and staff members. Rather than representing constituencies, council members are asked to work together to consider the needs of the entire university and serve as EDI champions. The role of the council is to provide advice and guidance to the president on EDI-related priorities, programs, and policies; the full terms of reference for the council can be found here.
To build on the work of the council in 2020, I have asked the current EDI Advisory Council to serve for another year. However, some of our council members are not returning and thus we invite interested SFU students, faculty and staff members to apply to the EDI Advisory Council for the 2021 calendar year.
Representation from people who experience oppression is deeply important to this work. We especially encourage applications from community members who identify as a Black, Indigenous, or racialized person; LGBTQ2+, or a person with a disability. To ensure the council represents voices from across the university we also particularly invite Vancouver and Surrey campus community members to apply.
Please click here to submit your expression of interest by March 26, 2021.
Selection of council members is based on criteria such as:
- representation on the council from equity-deserving groups;
- personal or lived experience with equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion;
- EDI-related work, skills, or research; and
- attendance at the majority of meetings scheduled in 2021. The 2021 meeting schedule is:
- April meeting to introduce new members [TBD]
- June 7, 9:30am-noon
- Sept 15, 9:30am-noon
- Nov 23, 9:30am-noon
Student and staff applicants, please indicate if you will need assistance securing approval from your instructor or supervisor. Please note that student members will receive an annual $750 stipend as compensation for their participation. Faculty members, please note that participation on the EDI Advisory Council will be designated as service to the SFU community.
A proposed slate of EDI Advisory Council members will be approved by the SFU Executive (President and Vice-Presidents).
Joy Johnson and the Executive Sub-Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion