Every June, people around the world come together to participate in Pride Month.
For the LGBTQIA2S+ community, Pride is a chance to reflect on the past, look forward to the future and join in celebration.
It is important to remember that Pride Month has its roots in protests and resistance, in particular the Stonewall Riots that followed the June 28, 1969 raid on the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar in New York City.
In Canada, the fight for LGBTQIA2S+ rights has its own rich history of struggle, from the first gay rights protests in 1971 to the riots in the wake of the Toronto bathhouse raids in 1981. Explore a timeline of milestones in the history of Pride in Canada.
SFU has an ongoing responsibility to create a welcoming place for all LGBTQIA2S+ members of the SFU community. If you’ve experienced discrimination and need support, please reach out.
Out On Campus, which is funded by the Simon Fraser Student Society and the Graduate Student Society, is a great resource that supports SFU’s LGBTQIA2S+ students and allies by providing a non-judgmental, confidential space to express sexual and gender identity and information about LGBTQIA2S+ culture, history and issues. They can also connect you with local resources to help you manage their mental, physical and sexual health. They also regularly share updates, news and events on their Facebook and Twitter accounts.
For those interested in becoming an effective ally, the EDI resource library has supports and toolkits. SFU faculty and staff have access to free webinars through the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion. SFU employees can also learn to advance LGBTQIA2S+ inclusion through Pride at Work Canada.
Read Community Stories
June 30, 2022
June 20, 2022
June 20, 2022
June 02, 2022
Attend an event
- Show and Share: Surrey LGBTQ+ History | June 1-30, Museum of Surrey | Museum of Surrey
- Pride Movie Night | June 13, 5PM PDT, Women's Centre Lounge SUB 2110 | SFSS Women's Centre
- Arts, Health, & Liberation: What can the Black Queer & Trans House/Ballroom movement teach us about public health intra-vention? | June 15, 6PM PDT, Djavad Mowafaghian World Art Centre GCA | SFU Faculty of Health Science, SFU Vancity Office of Community Engagement and the Centre for Gender and Sexual Health Equity
- Virtual ProPride: Supporting 2SLGBTQIA+ Resurgence beyond Performative Allyship | June 15, 12PM EDT, Online | Pride at Work Canada
- CCDI Webinar: Creating a psychologically safe space for the LGBTQ2S+ community - Fireside chat | June 16, 1PM EDT, Online | Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion
- A Brief History of Ballroom: Public Talk + Vogue Workshop | June 16, 5PM PDT, Djavad Mowafaghian World Art Centre GCA | SFU School for the Contemporary Arts, SFU’s Vancity Office of Community Engagement and SFU’s Community-Engaged Research Initiative
- Paint + Ice Cream Social | June 22, 2PM PDT, SRYC 3270 | SFSS Women's Centre
- Canadian Premiere Screening—Nelly Queen: The Life and Times of Jose Sarria | June 23, 6:30 PM PDT, SRYC 2600 | SFU GSWS and Surrey Pride
- Pizza and Tie-dye Social | June 28, 2PM PDT, Women's Centre Main Office SUB 2220 | SFSS Women's Centre
- Virtual Panel Discussion: Intersectionality within 2SLGBTQIA+ Communities | June 30, 12PM EDT, Online | Pride at Work Canada
Connect & Learn
- Read more about the history of Pride Month and the Stonewall Riots, and the history of Pride in Canada.
- SFU Out On Campus provides space, supports and services to LGBTQIA2S+ students and allies. Visit them online or at SUB 2230.
- Reading the Rainbow: Diversify your reading and viewing this summer with SFU Library's list of LGBTQIA2S+ books and films.
- Drop by the Fraser Library (SFU Surrey) to view a display of LGBTQIA2S+ books and historic material, presented in collaboration with Out on Campus
- Check out the SFU Bookstore's new Pride-themed swag!