Support for Learning: Excluded Staff
There are a number of professional development opportunities for Excluded Employees at SFU.
This policy provides up to $1000 per calendar year for tuition reimbursement for job-related learning opportunities that include credit and non-credit courses, seminars, webinars, workshops and conferences. This funding does not apply to SFU’s credit courses, which are covered through the tuition waiver (policy AD 10.12). Please note that the Tuition Reimbursement Application form must be submitted to Human Resources prior to registering for learning opportunities.
Reimbursement of Professional Development Expenses
This policy supports employees to pursue professional development opportunities or purchase computer equipment that will support their learning and development. Please see the Professional development Information sheet above for details. Please note:
- Continuing employee amounts: $1,100 annually with a maximum cumulative amount of $5,500
- Temporary employee amounts: $550 annually
- Purchase must be related to professional development in order to be claimed (see the Professional Development Information sheet for details).
- To find the balance for your Professional Development allotment, visit my.sfu.ca (login, and under Staff Resources, click on Professional Development Expenses).
- Professional Development expenses maybe be submitted once per calendar year.
Tuition for SFU credit courses is waived for Continuing Excluded Employees and their Dependents.
Professional Development Leaves
For Continuing Excluded Employees who have completed six years of service, Professional Development Leaves of up to twelve months may be granted.
In-House courses and workshops offered through Human Resources