Welcome To SFU!
The staff in Human Resources support you and your department in these endeavours and we look forward to assisting you in fulfilling your potential here at SFU. We hope the information below will help you to familiarize with the University and settle into your new employment successfully.
Information for New Employees
New Employee Package
Following acceptance of an offer of employment with the University, you will receive a letter confirming and outlining your appointment along with a New Employee Package via online Talent Centre portal, Taleo.
The following forms from your New Employee Package must be completed and returned to Human Resources as early as possible to ensure a timely enrolment on payroll:
- Personal Data Form (Note: Please attach a void cheque or a photocopy of a bank authorization form for Payroll purposes.)
- Benefits Package (where applicable)
- General Privacy and Confidentiality Agreement
- Dues Authorization (for CUPE and APSA)
- A copy of your PR or permit Confirmation of your eligibility to work in Canada (where applicable) *Confirmation of your eligibility to work in Canada must be completed prior to commencing your role
SFU Employee ID and Computing ID
After you have completed and returned your new employee forms, you will be enrolled on Payroll and an employee ID and an SFU Computing ID will be issued to you. Your computing ID will provide you with a work email account as well as access to other computing services that are available from your office and home.
If you supplied a non-SFU email address on your new employee forms, you will receive an email at that address indicating when and how you can activate your SFU Computing ID online. Please visit IT Services for further information.
New Employee Onboarding Canvas Course & Orientation
As part of your onboarding, you will be provided a link to a Canvas course that contains information helpful to your first weeks in the role. Topics include Introduction to SFU, Your First Week, The SFU Community, Employee Benefits and Policies & Collective Agreements.
Additionally, the University orientation program is coordinated by People and Organization Development and includes presenters from a number of administrative programs important to all staff. Sessions are held every two months and you will receive an invite for the session following your hire date.
SFU has three campuses in Metro Vancouver and your way around can be a daunting experience. To get you started on locating the building, please review the maps of : Burnaby Campus (pdf, Google, self-tour), Vancouver Campus (Google), Surrey Campus (Google). If you have difficulty locating a department when you are on campus, do not hesitate to contact Facilities Services.
There are various methods to commute to your new position at the University. All three campuses are on bus routes and two (Vancouver and Surrey) are located within one block of Skytrain stations. The following links provide you with more detailed information on public transportation, as well as alternative arrangements such as car-pooling and on-campus parking.
All continuing staff are eligible for a free SFU gym membership. This membership also entitles you to a variety of other recreational facilities. To obtain your membership go to the Recreation & Athletics Main Office situated on the second floor of the Chancellor's Gymnasium Complex. For a full schedule of services, activities, equipment rental and information regarding the facilities themselves you can visit Recreation & Athletics page.
Other Useful Links
- Campus Security : Access Control, Lost and Found, Personal Security, SFU Road Conditions, and other services
- Safety & Risk : Environment Health & Safety, Incident & Hazard Reporting, and other services
- Archives & Record Management : FOIPOP, FOIPOP- Training, Social Networking Key Messages for SFU Students, Staff and Educators, and other services
- Finance : Payroll, Online Travel & Expenses, and other services
- Human Rights Office
- SFU International
- Social Responsibility: SFU Sustainability, SFU United Way Campaign
Forms & Resources
See our Forms & Resources page for a complete listing of available documents.