HEALTH PROMOTION, RETURN TO WORK, DISABILITY, SICK LEAVE
The University offers opportunities for health and wellness at the workplace and in the maintenance of personal and work-life balance. The following are resources available to employees on-campus and off-campus.
- Athletics and Recreation - free drop-in classes and sports for staff and faculty.
- Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area Trails - trails for beginner to advanced hikers and cyclists
- Tips to Move More at Work
- Physical Activity Services at HealthLink BC - consult with qualified exercise professionals for general physical activity information and guidance.
- Yoga, Stretch and Strengthening Routines - video workout routines provided by SFU Recreation.
NUTRITION AND HEALTHY EATING
WEBINARS AND LEARNING
- Sentio - Homewood Health's internet-based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (iCBT) treatment program to treat anxiety and/or mild cases of depression
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) - professional counselling services available to faculty, staff, and their family members.
- Mindfulness Meditation at SFU - free drop-in sessions available to faculty and staff.
- Wellness & Recovery Mental Health Resources - online courses, workbooks and tools.
- Grief and Loss Coaching - Access support for grief and loss through EFAP.
- SFU Ergonomics Program - training, resources and assessments.
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety - resources for workplace design and considerations, as well as helpful exercises.
The Employee and Family Assistance Plan provides confidential, professional assistance for employees, their spouses and dependants counselling.
The Human Resources Learning and Development office provides opportunities for continuous learning and development by offering a range of professional development programs to employees, including workshops on wellness related topics.
See the Human Resources Learning and Development Course Schedule to register for courses offered in the current semester.
The Organizational Health office works with employees, managers, supervisors, directors, chairs and administrators regarding employee health and wellness, sick leave, disability leave, return to work and accommodation.
Visit the Athletics Department home page for information about Varsity Inter Collegiate sport, games schedules and support SFU Athletics as the only non-American School in the NCAA.
The Recreation Department offers a variety of services and facilities for your recreation needs. A recreation membership includes access to the fitness centre, pool and drop-in sports. Staff and faculty qualify for a free recreation membership. If requested, a custom program for you and your staff can be arranged. This can include a single day offering of a selection of recreation programs and could be perfect for an end of term team building day or retreat (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details). Log-In instructions for new SFU employees.
Health and Well-Being Disclaimer
The well-being information on this website is provided as information only and should not serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, or treatment from qualified physicians, mental health care providers, or other health care providers. Suggested links and resources are intended to educate, but not to replace SFU policies, procedures or advice from health professionals.