- About Us
- Our Donors
- Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Alliance (IDEA) Team
- Employment Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Awards & Scholarships
- Propective Students
- PhD Program
- MSc Program
- Current Students
- Physics Graduate Caucus
- Awards & Scholarships
- Poster Competition
- Links and Electronic Journals
- Machine Shop
- Cryogenics and Water
- Diffractometers, Spectrometers, Microscopes, and Imaging
- Preparation and Sterilization
- News & Events
News by Year
- Physics Professors named Canada Research Chairs
- Physics Faculty and Graduate Student Win Teaching Awards
- SFU Physics Professor wins 2021 Buchalter Cosmology Prize
- Dr. Hayden's Research in SFU Scholarly Impact
- Karen Kavanagh selected as a Fellow of the MRS
- Applied Physics undergrad wins AMPP Poster Competition
- Physics BSc Grad Gives Convocation Address
- Dr. Simmons Appointed to Quantum Tech Expert Panel
- Physics Undergrad wins SFU Service Award
- Meet the Canada Research Chair in Silicon Quantum Tech
- Dr. Sivak's Research Featured on NSERC Impact Story
- Physics Grad Wins Dean's Convocation Medal
- Simmons wins Women of Distinction Award
- Pogosian's Research in SFU Scholarly Impact
- PhD Graduate Awarded Convocation Medal
- Convocation Speaker Aidan Wright
- Nancy Forde Elected BSC President
- Bechhoefer named Royal Society of Canada Fellow
- Jeff Sonier Named American Physical Society Fellow
- SFU undergrads receive quantum grant award
- Events by Year
- Events By Category
- News by Year
- Congratulations to our Class of 2021
Scholarships, Awards & Financial Aid
The Department of Physics is fortunate to be able to offer scholarships, awards and bursaries to recognize and support our students. These physics-specific awards have been made possible through the generous donations of alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the department.
STUDENT SERVICES FINANCIAL AID & AWARDS SCHLOARSHIP
To apply for Scholarships, please see Student Services Financial Aid and Awards' Scholarship Page for information.
Review Application Deadlines to ensure you don't miss your chance to apply!
Awards and Scholarships - student application
SFU Awards granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee
Isao Asano Undergraduate Scholarship in Physics
Two scholarships, valued at a minimum of $1,000, will be granted annually in any term to outstanding undergraduate students who fulfill the following criteria:
- are enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Science;
- have declared major in physics; and,
- are in excellent academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.50.
Robert F. Frindt Undergraduate Scholarship in Physics
One or more scholarships, valued at minimum $1,200 each, will be granted annually in any term to undergraduate students who meet the following criteria:
- are enrolled full-time in the term of eligibility;
- are pursuing a bachelor's degree in the Faculty of Science with a declared major in Physics;
- have completed at least 60 units; and
- are in excellent academic standing.
The scholarship will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
External Award granted by the Canadian Association of Physicists
Allan Carswell Physics Educator Scholarship
Through a generous endowment from the Allan Carswell Family Foundation, starting in 2020, up to two Allan Carswell Physics Educator Scholarships, valued at up to $5000 each, will be awarded annually. This scholarship recognizes the critical importance and value of having people who are trained in, and passionate about, physics engaging young Canadians in the classrooms of this country.
Awards and Scholarships - nominated by department
Patrick McTaggart-Cowan Award in Physical Science
Awarded to a student who is enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Science with a minimum cGPA of 3.50. A letter demonstrating interest or aptitude in a field of physical science in one of these areas is required: astronomy; atmospheric science, biochemistry, chemistry, earth science, mathematics, oceanic science, physics or statistics.
Evelyn and Leigh Palmer Scholarship Endowment Fund
Awarded to undergraduate students in a major or honors program in the physical sciences (physics, applied physics, mathematical physics, chemical physics, chemistry, molecular biology and biochemistry, or physics and physiology). Applicants should have completed at least 60 SFU units toward the requirements for a degree and have completed at least 30 units in two of the last three terms in which they were enrolled.
John F. Cochran Award
Awarded to a student who has completed between 45 and 75 units towards the requirements for any physics honours program, and have completed at least 24 units in two of the last three terms in which they were enrolled at SFU. The Award shall be made to a student who has shown achievement and promise in both experiment and theory through the first two years of study in any physics honours program.
Rudi Haering Award in Physics
Awarded to an outstanding physics or chemical physics undergraduate who
has completed six terms of study or the equivalent credit units.
Physics Charter Faculty Endowment Fund
Awarded to a top graduating student in any major or honors physics program on the recommendation of the Chair of the Department of Physics. The endowment was established in recognition of physics charter faculty: John F. Cochran, Konrad Colbow, Richard H. Enns, Robert F. Frindt, Rudi R. Haering, David J. Huntley, J.C. Irwin, Klaus E. Rieckhoff and K.S. Viswanathan.
Grant Sheffer Undergraduate Student Research Award in Physics
This research award is intended to support SFU Physics Undergraduate Students carrying out research projects under the supervison of a faculty member in the Department of Physics. The endowment was established in 2017 by the Sheffer family in memory of Grant Sheffer (1952-2016), an SFU graduate (awarded his BSc in 1976), and a former employee of the Department of Physics and TRIUMF.
- Undergraduate students enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Science with a major in physics.
- Should have completed their first year of undergraduate studies.
- Should have shown outstanding achievement.
Bursaries - student application
Please see Student Services bursaries website for information on how to apply for these bursaries.
Ralph Kerr Memorial Bursary
Awarded to students who are in their third or fourth year of studies in the physics or engineering programs. This bursary fund has been established in memory of Ralph Kerr, a charter member of Simon Fraser University and a former employee of the Department of Physics.
Scott Wilson Memorial Endowment Fund/Bursary
Awarded to an undergraduate student(s) enrolled full time in a physics
program in good academic standing on the basis of demonstrated financial
need. Preference will be given to students who are returning to
university after a break in their studies, lasting at least one year or
Mona and Albert Curzon Bursary Endowment
Awarded to graduate students in physics or for majors or honors
undergraduate students in physics, mathematical physics, chemical
physics, biophysics or other joint programs with physics. These
bursaries are subject to demonstrated financial need and good academic
Other Departmental Awards
Awarded to a student to recognize their contributions towards Physics Outreach events.
SCHOLARSHIP AND AWARD WINNERS
We have a page with information on our schloarship and award winners.