Current Graduate Students

International Graduate Student Information and Resources

SFU Graduate Studies and SFU International Advising and Programs provide maintain websites with a wide array of resources applicable to international students. These offices also provide advising to international graduate students. Please visit the links below for more information:

Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows

SFU International Student Advising and Programs (ISAP)

Study Permit and Visa Information

The Office of Graduate Studies will supply you with an official admission offer that contains study permit information that should be sufficient for your first Canadian visa application. However, while you are studying at SFU, you may need to apply for visa renewal, travel visas to other countries, or evidence of your funding to support a family member's visa application. In these cases the Department of Physics can provide you with a letter outlining your student status, the dates of your program, and the details of your funding offer.

Departmental Visa Support Letter

To request a Visa Support Letter from the department, please email the Physics graduate program assistant the following information:

  1. The name and address of the agency to whom the letter will be addressed.
  2. The anticipated completion date of your degree program. If this differs from the date we have on file, we will require an email from your senior supervisor updating the anticipated completion date.
  3. Indicate whether you require the letter in a sealed and stamped envelope, or if you will be uploading the letter online.
  4. Indicate the date you require the letter. Please allow one week if possible.

For more detailed information and resources about visas, please visit the Resources and Handouts page provided by SFU International Student Advising and Programs. This page includes the two documents linked in the Related Links section below.

Permanent Residence

For information about how to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada please view the resources under the Permanent Resident heading on the SFU International Student Advising and Programs Resouces and Handouts page.

Income Tax Assistance

Tax Obligations

As an international graduate student, if you earn income in Canada (teaching/research assistantships, employment, investment or business income) you are responsible for "filing a tax return" (submitting income tax forms to the Canada Revenue Agency). Each year, you must submit an "Income Tax and Benefit Return" to tell the government how much money you earned and how much tax you paid. If you paid more than you were supposed to, you will get a refund. If you paid less, you will have to pay.


Income tax is calculated for a calendar year. The deadline for filing a tax return is April 30 of the following year.

Visit the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows Income Taxes page for information on the following topics:

  • General Income Tax Information
  • How to File Your Income Tax Claim
  • Downloading Your Tax Slips from SFU
  • How to get assistance with filing your taxes, including workshops, tax preparation clinics, and free tax-filing services.