WHAT IS THE U-PASS BC PROGRAM?
The U-Pass BC program is a transportation package which provides students in Metro Vancouver with universal and affordable access to public transit. The program is a partnership between Simon Fraser University, the Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS), the Graduate Student Society (GSS), TransLink, and the Province of British Columbia and was approved through SFSS and GSS referendum.
SFU's U-Pass BC Program is a mandatory program for all members of the SFSS and all members of the GSS. The U-Pass BC fee, effective May 1, 2021, is $173.40 per term. All eligible students will be charged the U-Pass BC term fee to their student financial account the next business day after enrollment.
The U-Pass BC program provides unlimited, all zone access to public transit in Metro Vancouver including TransLink Bus, SkyTrain, and SeaBus services and a discount on West Coast Express Train fares. Current TransLink transit service schedules and maps are available online. To view "Next bus" schedules on a mobile device, text the bus stop number to #33333. Transit alerts, current conditions, and schedules are now available for mobile devices at TransLink's mobile site: m.translink.ca.
Students voted in the SFSS and GSS referendum and the U-Pass BC referendum question passed with the new U-Pass BC term fee. As a result, the U-Pass BC term fee will be the following:
- 2020 Fall to 2021 Spring - $170 per term (2020 Summer - SUSPENDED)
- 2021 Summer to 2022 Spring - $173.40 per term
- 2022 Summer to 2023 Spring - $176.80 per term
- 2023 Summer to 2024 Spring - $180.40 per term
- 2024 Summer to 2025 Spring - $184 per term
An amendment to the current U-Pass BC agreement has been negotiated and made to extend the agreement until April 30, 2025. The current term rate of $173.40 per term will be effective until April 30, 2022. From May 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023 the term rate will be $176.80 per term. If you have any questions about this amendment, contact your respective student society representative.
- For undergraduate students, contact the VP of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For graduate students, contact the Director of Graduate Services at email@example.com.
Terms and conditions
- Your U-Pass BC is non-transferable and only valid with your SFU student ID.
- You must carry your SFU student ID with you at all times when travelling with your U-Pass BC on your Compass Card.
- You must be able to produce both your SFU student ID and Compass Card when riding TransLink public transit.
- Compass Cards may be confiscated by TransLink if abused.
- Do not laminate, hole punch, or alter the Compass Card.
- The U-Pass BC term fee is mandatory for all eligible students and must be paid in full by the deadline each term. (See eligibility and deadlines.)
- If you lose your Compass Card, visit the TransLink website or call 604.398.2042 for details on how to purchase a new Compass Card (see FAQ).