- Our People
- How We Work
- Work With Us
- Give to SFU Geography
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
- Prospective Undergraduates
- Prospective Graduates
- Current Students
- Current Undergraduates
- Student Resources
- Professional Accreditation
- Get Involved
- Co-op Education
- Career Pathways
- Experiential Learning
- Current Graduates
- Current Undergraduates
- News & Events
- News & Kudos Archives
- 2023 Archives
- Scientists dig deep and find a way to accurately predict snowmelt after droughts
- Cracking the Case of Missing Snowmelt After Drought
- 2023 Esri Canada GIS Scholarship for SFU
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Daniel Murphy
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Kyle Kusack
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Matthew Taylor
- Anke Baker Wins Staff Achievement Award
- Spring 2023 Virtual Geospeaker Event with Ginger Gosnell-Myers
- CAG Paper Presentation Award - Congratulations to Alysha van Duynhoven!
- Informing & Engaging Urban Youth on Public Hearings: GEOG 363 Final Showcase
- Research Talk: Modeling Urban Wetland Complexities
- Highlight Paper: Quantifying land carbon cycle feedbacks under negative CO2 emissions
- Bright Addae winner of the 2023 SFU ECCE GIS Scholarship Award
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Jonny Cripps
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Diandra Oliver
- 2023 Geospeaker Presentation with Dr. Pauline McGuirk
- Congratulations to Our Graduates - October 2023
- Evaluating the impact of educational goals at SFU
- The Belongings of Precariously Housed People - A Report
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Takuma Mihara
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Adrienne Arbor
- Thesis Defence - Congratulations to Claire Shapton
- 2023 Distinguished Speaker Presentation with Dr. Deb Cowen
- Cheers to Paul Degrace and his well-earned retirement!
- 2024 Archives
- Professor Nicholas Blomley Honored with the Community-Engaged Research Achievement Award
- Graduate Students Claire Shapton and Marina Chavez Honored with the Community-Engaged Graduate Scholar Award
- Applications now open: 2024 ESRI Canada GIS Scholarship for SFU
- Associate Professor Rosemary Collard achieves 13th place on SFU Altmetric List
- The PEAK feature: GSU hosts inaugural RANGE conference
- Hallway Screens Slides
- 2023 Archives
From the Chair
Greetings from all of us at SFU Geography. Through the continued craziness of the past year, we remain fortunate to work on the unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) & kwikwəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem) nations and are grateful for it.
Switching between remote, in person and hybrid instruction and learning as the pandemic waves cycled through the education system has tested the metal of many of us this academic year...
From the Dean’s Office
Geography is a field that captures our imaginations and furthers understandings of the connections between people, places, regions, and various types of landscapes. It allows us to engage other spaces and times, to get our hands dirty in the field, and to conceptualize the scalar and spatial dimensions that comprise a broad range of phenomena including natural processes, socio-political formations, and the organized patterns of soil, water, atmospheric and societal states.
Upon learning about my new job and big move, many of my family and friends have remarked that Vancouver shares many similarities with my hometown of San Francisco, California, USA. And being here only a few weeks, some similarities are, indeed, obvious: a beautiful mix of mountain, sea, and city; an idealized multicultural society; a notable East Asian influence; and a haven for foodies!
Alex Hallbom (Grad 2013)
Thank you to the SFU Department of Geography for reaching out regarding my experience in the geography field since graduating. I enrolled in the SFU Department of Geography with the intent of working in urban and land use planning. Over the past several years I have been able to establish myself in this field, in part thanks to connections and skills gained while attending SFU.
Celene Fung (Grad 1999)
It has been a long time since I graduated from Simon Fraser University. It is hard to believe that my undergraduate education was completed in 1999! I remember those days fondly.
Student Association Updates
Geography Student Union (GSU)
The Geography Student Union has had a challenging but exciting past couple of years. When classes moved online, so did our meetings and events. Throughout the Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021 terms, we hosted virtual games nights, movie nights, a zero-waste craft workshop, and more.
Geography Graduate Association (GGA)
This year the Geography Graduate Association continued to grapple with the challenges that the global pandemic placed on graduate life. Zoom played host to most of our interactions, as our efforts focused on providing COVID-support to our grads, from the provision of health supplies to the diligent TSSU steward check-ins on the health & safety of graduate TAs, RAs, and Sessional Instructors at work.
The 2021-2022 academic year was one of much reflection for us on the state of the department and its future.
Alumni Donations in Action
PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY FIELD SCHOOL
In 2021, the physical geography field school was redesigned to fit within the framework of provincial and academic COVID regulations. Working with an incredible group of 18 students in two cohorts the exercises were redesigned so that students could meet daily on campus outside and complete their fieldwork on the parkland surrounding the Burnaby Mountain campus.
Keep In Touch
Join us on the Geography LinkedIn group.