- Prospective Students
- Current Students
Research Awards & Scholarships
- Undergraduate Research Presentation Award
- CSC Silver Medal Award
- E. J. Wells Chemistry Book Award
- Melanie O'Neill Chemistry Undergraduate Award
- SCI Canada Student Merit Award
- Tony Parsad Award in Chemistry
- Chemistry Undergraduate Scholarship
- TransCanada Pipelines Research Scholarship
- Evelyn and Leigh Palmer Scholarship
- Faculty & Staff
- Employment Opportunities
- Information for Department Members
- Room Bookings
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Chemistry EDI Group
In addition to NMR and MS services, there are a variety of other scientific instruments available in the Department of Chemistry to support research activities. Scroll down to view the list of available instruments and their features.
EA CHN 1110
The elemental analysis capabilities of our EA CHN 1110 instrument provide the ability to determine C%, H%, N% within ± 0.4% error and S% within ±1% error under 1030 degree temperature.
Shimadzu's TGA-50 series and TGA-51 series thermogravimetric analyzers use a lightweight balance mechanism and taut band fulcrum to provide high-vibration tolerance and high-sensitivity measurement. The TGA-50 model has a maximum temperature of 1,000 °C and a sample mass up to 1 g.
PerkinElmer DSC 6000
The DSC system is used for studying of phase transitions, such as melting, glass transitions, or exothermic decompositions. The DSC 6000 measures the difference in the amount of heat required to increase the temperature of a sample and reference as a function of temperature.
- MT-DSC (Modulated Temperature-DSC), enabling you to separate kinetic events and interpret data with greater ease
- Scanning rates up to 0.1 °C to 100 °C for broad applications flexibility
- Temperature range: -100 to 440 °C
- Single-furnace uses Heat Flux measurement principle
- 45-position autosampler
Agilent 6890 GC/FID/MS
The Agilent 6890 is a state-of-the-art gas chromatograph that provides superior performance for all applications.
- Equipped with Agilent 7683 series automatic liquid sampler
- 100-vial tray
- Equipped with Agilent HP-5MS column
PerkinElmer Flexar LC
The Flexar LC is the HPLC system that you’ll count on day after day. The user interface is streamlined to improve the throughput and optimize operator safety. Flexar simplifies your process so you can focus on your application.
- Flexar Quaternary LC pump operates up to 6100 psi (420 bar)
- Solvent manager with integrated degasser
- 100-vial tray with autosampler
- Equipped with either a Brownlee C8 or C18 column
- PDA detector with very low baseline noise (< 8 µAU) providing high sensitivity
Microscope FTIR PerkinElmer Spotlight 200i
The Spotlight 200i FT-IR Microscopy System is designed with state-of-the-art technology to allow for intelligent automation and sophisticated analysis capabilities. The system utilizes a high performance single-point detector to deliver the best sensitivity, while white light LED illumination provides superior visible images.
- High quality spectral production from sample areas with diffraction limits as low as 10 microns
- Region of Interest (ROI) finding to allow for ease of analysis of multiple particles and layers all at once.
Potentiostat 1200C (CV)
The Model 1200C series is a computerized hand-held potentiostat/bipotentiostat. The instrument contains a digital function generator, a data acquisition system, and a potentiostat/bipotentiostat. It is well suited for electroanalysis and sensor studies. The potential range is ± 2.4 V, and the current range is ± 2 mA. This series is capable of measuring current down to 100 pA. The steady state current of a 10 μm disk electrode can be readily measured.