What are the admission requirements for high school or college/university transfer students?

For direct admission to the Chemistry program, all students must meet SFU's general admission requirements and the Faculty of Science's admission requirements. Visit SFU Admissions for more information.

I have been admitted to SFU as a student in another Faculty or Program. Can I transfer to the Chemistry program?

Students wishing to transfer into the Chemistry program are welcome to do so at any point during their undergraduate career. See the Undergraduate Programs section on this page for more information.

return to top

Course Enrollment

I'm trying to enroll in a Chemistry course but it says I don't have the prerequisites. Why can't I enroll? 

A minimum grade of C- is required in all prerequisite courses. Co-requisites may be completed before taking a course but will then be treated as a prerequisite where the minimum grade requirement applies.

For enrollment in CHEM 110 or 111, the prerequisite is high school Mathematics 12. Students who took an equivalent course in high school can send a copy of their high school transcript to <> for an enrollment waiver. Students without high school Mathematics 12 must take MATH 100 as a pre or co-requisite.

For enrollment in CHEM 121, the prerequisite is high school Chemistry 12, or CHEM 111. Students who took an equivalent course in high school or who took Chemistry 12 as an upgrading course can send a copy of their high school transcript to <> for an enrollment waiver.

I'm on the waitlist for a Chemistry course even though I see that there's space in the class. Why can't I enroll?

There must be space in all of the lecture, tutorial, and laboratory sections selected for a given course to be able to enroll. If the tutorial and/or laboratory section selected is full, the student will automatically be placed on the waitlist in the highest waitlist position for the full section. Students should enroll in sections with space to ensure their spot in the class.

The waitlist process runs multiple times per day to move waitlisted students into any open seats of the sections they have selected. If a student is not being moved in from the waitlist even though all the sections they've selected have space, it's possible that a time conflict exists which prevents the student from being moved in from the waitlist. Students should check their course schedule for any exam or course conflicts preventing them from enrolling in the course.

I am repeating CHEM 121/CHEM 281 and did quite well in the lab the first time. Do I need to complete the lab again?

Students who completed CHEM 121 or CHEM 281 at SFU may qualify for a lab exemption if they meet the minimum lab percentage requirement. Students should contact the Undergraduate Advisor <> to check their eligibility and/or to request a lab exemption.

return to top

Undergraduate Programs

What programs are available with the Department of Chemistry?

The Chemistry Department offers Major and Honours programs leading to a B.Sc. in Chemistry. We also have Joint Major and Honours programs with Earth Sciences and with Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. Students with an interest in Chemistry and Physics may want to consider completing a Chemical Physics Major or Honours.

Minor programs are also available in Chemistry, Nuclear Science, and Environmental Chemistry.

Visit the Chemistry Degree Programs page on our website for more detail.

What are the minimum requirements for declaring a Major in Chemistry?

Completion of at least 20 units in Chemistry, Math, and Physics with a cumulative Science GPA of at least 2.20.

How do I declare a Major in Chemistry?

Students who meet the minimum requirements listed above should contact the Undergraduate Advisor <> or visit the Advisor during drop-in advising. Any questions about eligibility can also be directed to the Undergraduate Advisor.

Do I need to maintain a specific GPA to stay in the Chemistry program?

Declared Chemistry Majors must maintain a cumulative Science GPA of 2.20 to remain in the Major program. Science cGPAs will be assessed after completion of 20 units of Science coursework (usually after two terms). Note: the continuance GPA does not apply to students in Minor programs or Joint Major programs.

What happens if I cannot maintain the minimum Science cGPA to stay in the Chemistry program?

Chemistry Majors whose cumulative Science GPA falls below 2.20 after completing 20 units in Science will be contacted by the Undergraduate Advisor with a warning. If in the following study term, the student's Science cGPA remains under 2.20, they will be withdrawn from the Chemistry Major. Students will be able to continue taking classes to improve their GPA to reapply to the Chemistry Major, or may choose to pursue a Chemistry Minor or another program altogether.

return to top


I plan to graduate soon, should I meet with an Advisor?

Yes! It is highly recommended that you check in with the Undergraduate Advisor at some point in your last year to review your graduation requirements. You can email <> with a copy of your Advising Transcript or book an appointment on Advisor Link.

When and how do I apply to graduate?

The earliest students can apply to graduate is on the first day of classes in their last term. Graduation applications are completed on goSFU. Visit for more information.

How do I know whether I've graduated?

Senate meets in early September, Feburary, and May to evaluate all graduation applications from the previous term. Students can expect a letter awarding their degree shortly thereafter.

return to top