Seeking Students

Eligibility to Seek Co-op

  • Completion of the FAS Prep course: Online course, Resume, Cover Letter, and Interview workshops, and document review session(s) with your coordinator or advisor
  • International students must have a valid work permit

Practice interviews with feedback and insights on InterviewPrep - Available 24/7

Getting Access to Job Postings

FAS Co-op job postings are available on our job portal and can be accessed from myExperience.

These postings will only be visible once your resume and cover letter have been approved and your Co-op coordinator has "Released" you to search for jobs.

In addition to having your documents approved, to be released you must do the following:

Update myExperience Documents

Upload your approved documents to the Documents section in myExperience; use descriptive names and set the appropriate document type:

  • Student Information Summary form (SIS)
  • Co-op Transcript downloaded from your goSFU Account
  • Resume
  • Cover Letter
  • Co-op Work Permit – applies to international students only

Tips for Seeking Students

Here are some tips that will help you make the most of your Co-op experience.


You will be added to a Seeking Canvas course for additional tips and resources to support you through the process until you are placed in a job.


Expect that the Co-op process may take a lot of your time, students have said it is similiar to taking a course. Time commitment per week can be anywhere around 5-12 hours.

Trial & Error

Co-op is learning about what you like and what you don't like. We encourage you to 'try out' various industry areas to ensure that when you graduate, you have a clearer idea of what type of work, and what working environment you prefer. Co-op positions are offered all over BC and Canada in various industries with hundreds of employers.


Consistent effort is required throughout the term. Don't be discouraged when you don't hear back - just keep applying to jobs and stay in contact with your Co-op coordinator and/or advisor. You can make an appointment with either of them directly on myExperience via the Appointments tab.

Student-Developed Co-op

Consider finding your own Co-op work term with the help of your Co-op coordinator and your network and/or friends and family. It is also referred to as Student-Developed Work Term (SDWT). You can find more information here.

If you have more questions and you cannot find the answer here, consider looking at the FAQ page where we have collected lots of common questions.