Below you will find the answers to some common questions. Please also check our other websites about Prospective, New, Seeking, and Working Students for more in-depth information.

If you still have questions, do not hesitate to contact fas_coop@sfu.ca or your Co-op coordinator

General CMPT Students Questions

What are the requirements to apply to a CMPT Co-op?

  • Minimum 2.50 CGPA 
  • Encouraged to apply after 30 credits 
  • New students are required to apply at least 2 terms before the intended work term

Can I apply to Co-op if I don't meet 2.50 CGPA?

No, you are required to obtain a minimum 2.50 CGPA in order to be accepted to the Co-op program. If your CGPA is below 2.50, your application will be rejected. We suggest to you to raise your CGPA and apply to Co-op once you meet this requirement.

What CGPA do I need to maintain to stay in Co-op?

The minimum GPA requirement is 2.00 CGPA. Co-op is an optional additional program for CMPT students.

I applied but I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting for the email, when will I get it?

Upon receiving your application form, you will be contacted within 10 business days to advise you of your Conditional Approval to the Program via myExperience message or email. There will be program specific steps that you will need to complete in order to be fully accepted into the Co-op program.

Do I need CMPT 276 to apply to the program? What if I can't get into CMPT 276?

CMPT 276 is no longer a requirement to seek for a Co-op placement. CMPT 276 is still an excellent course and is highly recommended.

I am a CMPT second degree student, how many Co-op terms do I need to do to get the Co-op designation?

You should plan for at least 3 Co-op terms to complete the Co-op program and receive the Co-op designation on your degree, which is recognized across Canada.

I am near graduation and have yet to complete three Co-op work terms. Do I need to opt out of Co-op in order to apply for graduation?

Each term the Co-op office will complete graduation checks for all Co-op students in the program who have submitted the application for graduation. If the Co-op student did not complete 3+ Co-op work terms then the Co-op subplan will be manually removed from the student’s academic file. No extra steps are required by the student to graduate.

New Students Questions

Who is my Coordinator?

To speak with a coordinator or advisor, you must book an appointment with them through myExperience. If you have any questions for them, find out who your Coordinator is, and send them an email.

For your coordinator please check our contact page.

How do I opt-in the seeking group?

Once you have completed the prep requirements and have been released to seek, you will have ongoing access to view the job postings on myExperience for multiple future terms. You do not need to let your coordinator know each term that you want to job search.

When can I start seeking for Co-op?

You can start seeking after you complete the Prep requirements. Including:

  • Workshops: Participate in the FAS Co-op Resume, Cover Letter and Interview workshops - either separately or by attending the "All In One" option.
  • International students require a valid work permit in order to start seeking.

If I attend the workshops a few terms before my seeking term, do I have to attend the workshops again?

You are only required to attend the workshops once. Therefore, if you have attended the workshops once and fulfilled this requirement, then you do not have to attend them again.

How many Co-op terms do I need to complete?

You should plan for at least 3 Co-op terms to complete the Co-op program and receive the Co-op designation on your degree, which is recognized across Canada.

How many jobs should I be applying to?

We recommend that Seeking students apply to a minimum of 30-60 jobs throughout the term (that is about 2-4 a week). Senior students should be actively and attentively applying throughout the term. This can take up to 7-12 hours a week and should be compared to taking a course.

What is the application fee?

Similar to applying into university, there is an application fee for applying into co-op. This is a one-time cost that is applied to your goSFU account and must be paid within 10 days of receiving your acceptance letter into the Co-op program. Please visit: https://www.sfu.ca/coop/apply.html for more information about the fee. If you are not accepted into the co-op program, your application fee is refunded.

How much does Co-op cost?

Aside from the application fee, Co-op students pay tuition fees only when they are placed in a Co-op work term. The tuition fee is the same for domestic and international students: $878.31 CAD. This fee applies to every work term that you secure, including extensions and self-directed work terms. Co-op tuition fees are generally due on the 7th week of classes. Students who secure a local placement will also have access to U-Pass and will continue to have access to public transit.

I am a transfer student from another institution. How does this affect my application?

The best time to apply to Co-op is around 45 credits. As a transfer student, we recommend waiting at least one term before joining the Co-op program. Focus your energy in your first term on having a successful transition to the curriculum and expectations.

Can I find my own Co-op?

Self-Directed Work Terms provide a great opportunity finding a job that is right for you, or targeting a specific industry or location. Contact your Co-op coordinator to discuss strategies. You may use your own connections such as family and friends, current employers, colleagues, or people you know through networking. You could also be applying to jobs you find through different means. 

However, make sure that your chose Co-op position fulfills all requirements such as minimum of 420 hours of work, paid, provided supervision, and is in an area of your academic field.

I am an international student, how do I apply for my Co-op work permit?

International students are required to obtain a valid Co-op work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before applying to SFU Co-op jobs. This is different from your off-campus work permit. We recommend applying for the Co-op work permit as early as possible as processing times can be lengthy. To apply you must submit a letter provided from the Co-op office indicating you are part of the Co-op program along with your application. You will be issued the letter at the beginning of your New Student term. See here for more information. 

The Co-op office must have a copy of your valid Co-op Work Permit prior to students being released to apply for Co-op positions. Direct questions you have regarding the Co-op Work Permit process to International Services for Students.

Seeking Students Questions

Where can I practice interviews?

  • Practice on your own or with a friend using questions from the OLC Interview Questions Database.
  • Use InterviewPrep tool from inside myExperience. You can record yourself answering interview questions and then reflect on your performance.
  • Book a practice interview with your Co-op advisor or coordinator.
  • Create an account on Interview Prep to practice Interviews Questions.

I have been contacted by an employer directly for an interview - what now?

If an employer contacts you directly for an interview request, please notfiy our Co-op office right away by emailing fas_coop@sfu.ca with all the details. We will provide you with instructions for your next steps.

I have received a job offer directly - what now?

If an offer was sent directly to you from the employer, please notify your coordinator either directly of email fas_coop@sfu.ca. Making the Co-op office aware of your offer, ensures receiving a placement email with information and instructions. 

If you do not receive the placement email wihtin a few weeks of accepting your offer, please follow up with the Co-op office.

What Co-op course do I enroll in when I have accepted a placement outside of the Lower Mainland?

Please refer to your placement email for your course enrollment details for your work term.

Working Students Questions

Can I enroll in a course while being placed in a Co-op position?

We do not recommend taking a course during a work term. Your priority and commitment should be with the employer. However, if your employer is open to letting you take on a course while you are working you must submit a Time Conflict Request document online to the Computing Science School along with written consent of your supervisor. 

I am having concerns about my Co-op work environment - what now?

It really depends on what kind of issues you are experiencing. Physical work environments need to be safe, so check out Work Safe BC and the BC Employment Standards. This might help you in figuring out what kind of concerns you are encountering. 

If this does not answer your questions and your concerns persist, and you feel uncomfortable approaching your colleagues or supervisor, please do not hesitate to contact your coordinator.

Can I leave a Co-op job if it’s not working for me?

Before you do anything, please contact your coordinator. They will be able to answer your questions and address your concerns as well as ask you relevant questions to problem-solve the situation. They will be able to give you guidance and advice on what actions you can take and what potential consequences may arise.

What do I do if I can’t enroll in my Co-op course?

There are a few things that may be happening:

  • It may be too late in the term for you to register, in which case let us know and we will register you.
  • You may be trying to enrol in the wrong course: each work term number is sequential.
  • Another common issue is that you may have fees still outstanding: in which case pay them in full as soon as possible after which you can enroll in your Co-op course.