- Emergency preparedness
- Insurance & risk
- Travel safety
ShakeOut BC earthquake drill
Thursday, October 17th 2019 - 10:17am
Know what to do in an earthquake? Join SFU in the annual ShakeOut BC earthquake drill to practice and get prepared.
What is ShakeOut BC?
The Great BC ShakeOut is an annual province-wide earthquake drill occurring each October which encourages practice of internationally recognized “drop, cover, hold on” procedures. The drill also serves as an opportunity for individuals and organizations to review emergency preparedness plans and supplies, and to secure spaces (work, class, home).
- Drop, cover, and hold on under a desk, table, interior wall or corner
- Wait 60 seconds after the shaking stops
- Proceed to the designated assembly area
- In a car - Pull over. Avoid overhead structures (i.e. bridges and overpasses). Set the parking brake and stay inside.
- On a bus - Stay seated until the bus stops. Drop, cover and hold on until the shaking stops. Stay inside if it is safe.
- If you can, follow the drop, cover, hold-on procedure
- If you are in a wheel chair, move to an inner wall if safe to do so. Lock the brakes and cover your head with your arms
- If available use a blanket or pillow to shield your face from falling debris/glass
- When the shaking stops move to refuge areas
2) “Drop, cover, hold on” at 10:17am
Wherever you are at 10:17am practice "Drop, cover, hold on” procedures and follow along to the ShakeOut video. Encourage drill participation in your classrooms and/or work spaces.
3) Check out event tables
Drop by the SRS ShakeOut zones at each campus on Oct 17th (10:00am - 12:00pm) to learn about the drill, pick up preparedness tips, and earn participation giveaways.
- Burnaby - Saywell Atrium
- Vancouver - Harbour Centre Concourse
- Surrey - 3000 level above the Mezzanine
4) Get prepared
Explore our preparedness resources:
- Build your own emergency kit
- SFU Earthquake Safety Office Audit (pdf, excel)
- Laboratory Earthquake Safety
- Earthquake Preparedness - Government of British Columbia