- Emergency preparedness
- Insurance & risk
- Travel safety
Review the following health, safety and security resources when planning for your international travel.
SFU has partnered with International SOS (ISOS), to provide SFU travelers with 24/7 medical, security, and logistical expertise before, during and after international trips. Travelers can access ISOS services by using SFU’s Membership Number (27ACAS593560).
- Review the destination-specific medical and security information to help you prepare for your trip by visiting the ISOS Member Portal.
- Contact ISOS, 24/7, for any health, travel security or personal safety concerns, for routine advice, emotional support or emergency assistance at +1-215-942-8478.
- Request a travel security briefing to assist with planning your international travel to high risk destinations or for group trips organized by the university.
- Visit Global Affairs Canada (GAC) Travel Advice and Advisories to obtain essential information for Canadians abroad, including country specific reports.
- Register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad or your country’s equivalent prior to departure.
- GAC Country Insights gives invaluable cultural/social country insights.
- Obtain contact information for government offices that provide consular services to Canadian citizens abroad.
Technology and research resources:
- Review the Travel Security Guide for University Researchers and Staff to learn about the nature of economic and geopolitically motivated threats to your or your research. This document provides basic steps that you can take to mitigate risks and suggests actions that you can take in the event of an incident.
- Review Mitigating Economic and/or Geopolitical Risks in Sensitive Research Projects to learn about best practices to undertake an economic and geopolitical risk assessment and mitigate key risks.
- Learn about key recommendations when Traveling with Technology.
Emotional Support Resources:
- Students, faculty, and staff: ISOS provides Emotional Support services to assist travelers in dealing with any psychological issues while abroad. Travelers can access these services by contacting ISOS at +1-215-942-8478 and providing SFU’s Membership Number (27ACAS593560).
- Students: My Student Support Program (My SSP) provides free access to immediate or ongoing confidential counselling and support, accessible from anywhere in the world by phone at 001-416-380-6578 or through the downloadable app.
- Faculty and staff: Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP) provides confidential counselling and support available 24/7 by phone or e-Counselling. To access these services, contact Homewood Health, SFU’s EFAP provider, at 1-800-663-1142.
Conduct a risk assessment to identify the health, safety, and security hazards associated with your trip and planned activities and create a plan for reducing the impact or likelihood of those hazards affecting your trip. It is recommended that travelers conduct a risk assessment prior to departure and on an ongoing basis while abroad. For support completing your risk assessment, contact email@example.com.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.