Other research

Cannabis research

Cannabis has been legalized in Canada for personal possession and use, but research with cannabis remains controlled. Any research projects that involve cannabis, CBD or THC compounds (regardless of quantity) require a research licence from Health Canada. Currently, Simon Fraser University does not have an institutional licence for research with cannabis. Proposed research projects involving cannabis should be submitted directly to Health Canada by individual Principal Investigators (PIs) as a personal research licence application by creating an Individual Account in the Cannabis Tracking and Licensing System (CTLS). The guideline for application is available at

Cannabis Licensing Application Guide: Research (Health Canada)

Once approved, provide a copy of your Cannabis License to the Office of Research Services: ors@sfu.ca and the Environmental Health and Safety Department: ehrs_sfu@sfu.ca