- General safety
- Research safety
- Construction safety
- Safety committees
A safety committee structure supports and guides programs at SFU. The committees are comprised of:
- A Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC)
- Local Joint Health and Safety committees (LJHSC)
- Research-related safety committees (Radiation, Biosafety and Diving).
Local Joint Health and Safety Committees
The Local Joint Health and Safety Committees (LJHSC) report to department heads. They assist in monitoring departmental safety programs, safety concerns raised by employees and students, make recommendations to department heads and promote safety communication.
Terms of reference
The Local Joint Health and Safety Committees are established by their terms of reference.
The LJHSC are responsible for conducting inspections of their areas of responsibility. Please use the forms provided below.
Central University Health and Safety Committee
The Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC) reports to the Chief Safety Officer and addresses safety policies and safety issues arising in public areas. It also promotes communication and information sharing among local joint health and safety committees.
Terms of reference
The Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC) is established by its terms of reference.
Membership & meeting minutes
Review the current CUHSC list of voting members and meeting minutes.
Additional resources for safety committee members are available on the safety committee SharePoint site.
The objective of inspections is to identify safety hazards in order for them to be mitigated/eliminated. All inspections should be documented. Use the templates below to assist with documentation and reporting. These templates can be modified to meet your needs.
- General safety inspection checklist
- Inspection guidance document
- Laboratory safety inspection checklist
- Laboratory Inspection guidance document
- Inspection summary report template
- Guidance document: LJHSC COVID-19 safe work plan review and compliance
- COVID-19 Safety Plan - LJHSC Confirmation of Review form
Safety committee member guidance document
A guidance document is available for safety committee members that outlines the mandate of safety committees, the roles and responsibilities of committee members, communication between CUHSC and the LJHSCs, and how safety concerns/issues are raised from the LJHSCs to CUHSC.
WorkSafeBC inspection reports
- April 8, 2021 - Inspection report and orders pertaining COVID-19 compliance
- December 24, 2020 - Inspection report re: COVID-19 compliance
- October 28, 2020 - Follow-up inspection report confirming compliance with all orders isssued in inspection report 201917871102A.
- August 19, 2020 - Inspection report confirming compliance with the order received pertaining to an IAQ complaint.
- July 24, 2020 - Inspection report re: requirement to obtain a variance for the safety committee structure at SFU.
- July 10, 2020 - Inspection report and order pertaining to SFU's response to an Indoor Air Quality Complaint by a worker.
- June 12, 2020 - Inspection report confirming SFU's COVID-19 guidance document is consistent with guidance provided by the Provincial Health Officer and WorkSafeBC.
- May 26, 2020 - Follow-up inspection report confirming acceptance of an investigation report related to safety concerns raised in a specific work area.
- May 21, 2020 - Follow-up inspecton report confirming compliance with Workplace Bullying & Harassment program requirements
- May 12, 2020 - Inspecton report pertaining to COVID-19 prevention measures being taken at SFU
- May 12, 2020 - Inspection report pertaining to SFU's Workplace Bullying & Harassment Program
- April 21, 2020 - Inspection report to document a meeting that was held with WorkSafeBC, worker representatives and employer representatives to discuss concerns in a work area in Strand Hall
- March 9, 2020 - Inspection report pertainin to safety concerns raised about planned maintenance work on a strobic fan exhaust system.
- March 3, 2020 - Inspection report pertaining to safety concerns raised in a specific work area.
- February 3, 2020 - Inspection report pertaining to an indoor air quality concern