- General safety
- Research safety
- Construction safety
- Safety committees
SFU Safety Comittee Appreciation Lunch on October 20, 2022! Please RSVP here by September 30, 2022.
A safety committee structure supports and guides programs at SFU. The committees are comprised of:
- A Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC)
- Local Joint Health and Safety committees (LJHSC)
- Research-related safety committees (Radiation, Biosafety and Diving).
A variance has been issued by WorkSafeBC for the safety committee structure at the Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey campuses.
Local Joint Health and Safety Committees
The Local Joint Health and Safety Committees (LJHSC) report to department heads. They assist in monitoring departmental safety programs, safety concerns raised by employees and students, make recommendations to department heads and promote safety communication.
Terms of reference
The Local Joint Health and Safety Committees are established by their terms of reference.
The LJHSC are responsible for conducting inspections of their areas of responsibility. Please use the forms provided below.
Central University Health and Safety Committee
The Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC) reports to the Chief Safety Officer and addresses safety policies and safety issues arising in public areas. It also promotes communication and information sharing among local joint health and safety committees.
Terms of reference
The Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC) is established by its terms of reference.
Membership & meeting minutes
Review the current CUHSC list of voting members and meeting minutes.
Additional resources for safety committee members are available on the safety committee SharePoint site.
The objective of inspections is to identify safety hazards in order for them to be mitigated/eliminated. All inspections should be documented. Use the templates below to assist with documentation and reporting. These templates can be modified to meet your needs.
General safety inspections
- General safety inspection checklist
- Use this checklist to record findings when completing annual site inspections of an area.
- Once completed, use findings and notes from the checklist to fill out Inspection Summary Report.
- Inspection summary report template
- After the inspection is complete, safety committee members will fill out the Safety Inspection Summary and send to the department head/administrator of the area that was inspected.
- The safety committee members who completed the inspection will follow up on any recommended actions to ensure the department has addressed the deficiency.
- The Safety Inspection Summary will also be forwarded to the safety committee for discussion at the next meeting and EHS for recordkeeping purposes.
- Inspection guidance document
Some SFU safety committees will participate in laboratory inspections being conducted by the lab owners. The following resources are available to familiarize onself with laboratory inspections.
Safety committee member guidance document
A guidance document is available for safety committee members that outlines the mandate of safety committees, the roles and responsibilities of committee members, communication between CUHSC and the LJHSCs, and how safety concerns/issues are raised from the LJHSCs to CUHSC.
WorkSafeBC inspection reports
- July 21, 2022 - Inspection report confirming compliance with the order issued for the LDC incident.
- July 14, 2022 - Inspection report documenting progress made towards achieving compliance with the order received for the incident in the LDC.
- July 7, 2022 - Inspection report and order pertaining to the lack of hazardous materials asssesment for the expanded scope of work of a renovation project in the LDC.
- July 6, 2022 - Inspection report documenting receipt and acceptance of the incident investigation report pertaining to the discovery of an asbestos-containing material not previously identified.
- June 23, 2022 - Inspection report confirming the issuance of a variance for the safety committee structure at the Surrey campus.
- June 3, 2022 - Inspection report confirming the issuance of a variance for the safety committee structure at the Vancouver campus.
- June 2, 2022 - Inspection report confirming the issuance of a variance for the safety committee structure at the Burnaby campus.
- May 26, 2022 - Inspection report documenting a meeting with LJHSC co-chairs as part of SFU's variance application.
- May 11, 2022 - Inspection report issued as a result of an incident reported to WorkSafeBC involving the discovery of an asbestos-containing material not previously identified.
- May 11, 2022 - Inspection report outlining a risk management overview provided by WorkSafeBC as part of a province-wide educational initiative.
- April 22, 2022 - Inspection report documenting the attendance of a WorkSafeBC officer at the AQ/SH safety committee meeting on April 19, 2022.
- April 13, 2022 - Follow-up inspection report confirming compliance with the orders in IR 202118282055A.
- March 11, 2022 - Follow-up inspection report documenting progress adressing the orders in IR 202118282055A.
- March 8, 2022 - Follow-up inspection confirming compliance with orders issued in inspection report IR 202118282052A.