- General safety
- Research safety
- Construction safety
- Safety committees
A safety committee structure supports and guides programs at SFU. The committees are comprised of:
- A Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC)
- Local Joint Health and Safety committees (LJHSC)
- Research-related safety committees (Radiation, Biosafety and Diving).
Local Joint Health and Safety Committees
The Local Joint Health and Safety Committees (LJHSC) report to department heads. They assist in monitoring departmental safety programs, safety concerns raised by employees and students, make recommendations to department heads and promote safety communication.
Terms of reference
The Local Joint Health and Safety Committees are established by their terms of reference.
The LJHSC are responsible for conducting inspections of their areas of responsibility. Please use the provided inspection forms.
Central University Health and Safety Committee
The Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC) reports to the Chief Safety Officer and addresses safety policies and safety issues arising in public areas. It also promotes communication and information sharing among local joint health and safety committees.
Terms of reference
The Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC) is established by its terms of reference.
Membership & meeting minutes
Review the current CUHSC list of voting members and meeting minutes.
The objective of inspections is to identify safety hazards in order for them to be mitigated/eliminated. All inspections should be documented. Use the templates below to assist with documentation and reporting. These templates can be modified to meet your needs.
- General safety inspection checklist
- Inspection guidance document
- Laboratory safety inspection checklist
- Laboratory Inspection guidance document
- Inspection summary report template
Safety committee member guidance document
A guidance document is available for safety committee members that outlines the mandate of safety committees, the roles and responsibilities of committee members, communication between CUHSC and the LJHSCs, and how safety concerns/issues are raised from the LJHSCs to CUHSC.
WorkSafeBC inspection reports
- December 20, 2019 - Updated inspection report further extending the deadline for implementing corrective action from the serious incident in October
- December 19, 2019 - Inspection report pertaining to the Madge Hogarth demolition project.
- November 26, 2019 - Inspection report extending the deadline for implementing corrective action resulting from the serious incident in October
- November 25, 2019 - Inspection report confirming acceptance of employer's incident investigation report.
- October 17, 2019 - Inspection report and orders pertaining to a serious incident in which two workers sustained burns.
- October 15, 2019 - Follow-up inspection report re: a serioud medical incident involving a worker.
- September 13, 2019 - Inspection report re: a serious medical incident involving a worker.
- June 24, 2019 - Inspection report acknowledging compliance with order pertaining to HVAC systems in Starbucks and Macekenzie Cafe
- January 25, 2019 - Inspection report acknowledging receipt of an investigation report