- Campus services
- Executive Director's Office
- Supporting one another and raising awareness on sexual assault
- Why Bell Let's Talk Day matters to me
- International Women's Day: Celebrating the Strong Women in My Life
- The Glass Half Full: The Challenges of 2020 & The Promise of 2021
- Moving forward: Next steps for anti-racism dialogues at SFU Surrey
- Honouring the 215 lives lost
- Walking together towards inclusion
- Summer message from Steve Dooley
- Welcome back to campus!
- Honouring the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- Let's talk about mental health and well-being
- Lift Each Other Up on Pink Shirt Day
- 2020 Homeless Count in Surrey
- Surrey campus vibe is alive-and-strong during COVID-19
- It’s Long Overdue - Moving The Dial on Racism & Discrimination
- Thank You President Petter for 10 Amazing Years
- Welcoming Joy Johnson, SFU's 10th President
- Get to know Steve Dooley, Executive Director of SFU's Surrey Campus
- In case you missed it: Fall 2020 Campus-wide meeting
- The fight against COVID-19: Surrey researchers at their best!
- Season's greetings from Steve Dooley
- Community Perspectives on Living with HIV and where we go From Here
- Celebrating International Women’s Day at SFU’s Surrey Campus
- OppFest at the Surrey campus
- New campus building expands SFU Surrey campus
- Pink Shirt Day
- Power of Partnerships: Surrey Schools
- Welcome to Fall 2019
- SFU Surrey and Orange Shirt Day
- World Mental Health Week
- Health-related research and innovation is thriving in Surrey
- SFU Surrey students changing the world in 2019
- Email Archive
- News and events
- Contact us
Since 2002, SFU's Surrey campus has been a key part of the growth and development of Surrey’s downtown core. Take a journey down memory lane with us.
SFU Surrey opens as a beta space within Central City mall. The space, which once was a Zellers Department Store, comprised of open access classrooms, study and research spaces.
On September 8, 2006, the campus celebrates the grand opening of its first building. Nearly 2,000 people attended the public open house the following day. The $70 million, 297,000 square feet, 4-floor iconic structure designed by Bing Thom uniquely integrated the campus with the mall complex.
Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection launches at SFU Surrey to provide mentorship and training for emerging entrepreneurs and innovators. It is the longest running entrepreneurship program at SFU.
SFU Surrey begins its campus expansion with Podium 2. The $10 million, 54,000 square foot renovated space at the base of Central City tower houses science labs, research and teaching spaces. Podium 2 has LEED Silver designation.
In 2013, the SFU Surrey-TD Community Engagement Centre (SFU CEC) launches. The centre fosters engagement between SFU and the ethnically diverse and growing South Fraser community through programs in partnership with community groups.
In December 2013, the NeuroTech Lab at Surrey Memorial Hospital opens. The NeuroTech Lab is a venue for SFU researchers to collaborate with technology experts and hospital clinicians to advance research in the areas of brain injury, concussion measurement, surgical simulation, rehabilitative devices and spinal cord injury prevention.
In 2016, the federal and provincial governments announce $90 million in funding towards a $126 million building for the SFU Surrey campus, across from its main building. The building will house the new Sustainable Energy Engineering program, teaching and research labs, and state-of-the art theatres and activity space that will be shared with the community.
SFU’s expansion will also help meet the increasing demand for accessible post-secondary education south of the Fraser.
On September 18, 2018, the SFU ImageTech Lab, a world-class clinical research facility, opens its doors. The ImageTech Lab is the first-of-its-kind in Western Canada and will be a cornerstone in Surrey’s Health Technology District. It provides the critical combination of high-field magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) together with high-density magnetoencephalography (MEG)—uniquely embedded within Surrey Memorial Hospital—an emerging academic health sciences centre.
SFU unveils the first phase of its $126 million, 221,000 square foot, 5-floor campus expansion. Located near the original campus building, the building houses the new Sustainable Energy Engineering program, the first of its kind in western Canada.
As of 2020, SFU's Surrey campus spans over 600,000 square feet across seven locations in Surrey.