Campus safety is a priority. Report emergencies and incidents at the Surrey campus.
In an emergency call 911.
- Call 911 from any phone, but if you can call from a campus phone, Campus Security will be automatically notified of the call location. A phone is located in every classroom.
- If you are unsure if it is an emergency, always err on the side of caution.
- When you call 911 you will be asked if you need police, fire or ambulance, and then what is happening and the location.
The Surrey Local Joint Health & Safety Committee comprises members from Management, Unions, Teaching and Research Assistants and Non-union employee groups. Below is the formal wording regarding the Committee membership:
"The committee shall consist of members from locations covered by the committee. In compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and Workers Compensation Act, committee members are designated as representing either the employer or workers employed by the University. Efforts should be made to ensure all major work groups or areas and all employee groups are represented on the committee. Employer representatives shall not out number worker representatives on the committee."
Activities of the Local Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Address health and safety concerns that are not resolved through the normal line management structure
- Promote health and safety awareness
- Conduct annual site inspections of their areas of responsibility, review and distribute inspection summaries to relevant stakeholders and EHRS, and monitor follow-up to ensure deficiencies are addressed in a timely manner
- Participate in incident investigations as required, and recommend corrective action
- Follow-up with departments to ensure identified deficiencies are addressed in a timely manner
Current Surrey Health & Safety Committee (2020):
- Brad Renney (Co-Chair, employer)
- Osama Al-Humaimidi (Co-Chair, worker)
- Ted White (Facilities Services)
- Leonard Thong (Education)
- Jason Ashby (Computing Science)
- Alisa Kuan (SFU Library)
- Garry Mund (Chemistry)
- Ryan Ostonal (Education)
- Jennifer Coffey (MSE - Co-op)
- Elfituri Lehemer (MSE)
- Natalia Perez (TSSU Occupational Health Representative)
The Committee also covers the SEE Building in that the Faculty of Applied Sciences has its own safety committee for their labs etc. and they have a representative attend our meetings and reports to the Committee. That representative is Aladdin Tayeh.
You may contact the Committee via email at email@example.com.