General Appeals - Senate Appeals Board
What are you appealing?
The Board hears appeals from students on matters involving the application of academic policies and requirements relating to but not limited to:
- Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstances
- Special Circumstances for Admission/Readmission
Do you have supporting documentation?
You have new documentation that has arisen that couldn't originally be presented
Timeline for Appeals
Appeals must be filed with the secretary within 3 weeks of receipt of the denied decision.
Please contact the Secretary at email@example.com if there is a delay.
- All appeals are heard on a first come first serve basis.
- All appeals for admission/re-admission are reviewed for special circumstances by University Admissions prior to going forward to the Board.
- Appeal meetings are typically held monthly.
- Please Note: due to the complexity of appeals, it is not guaranteed that the Board will complete their review by the meeting date.
The Board Will Assess Cases Based On
- Evidence submitted, both written and oral.
- Your academic record. (the Board may request further information from the instructor).
- Probable actions of a hypothetical "reasonable person" who might encounter circumstances similar to those encountered by you.
Senate Appeals Board Procedures
It is highly recommended you work with the University Ombudsperson prior to submitting your appeal. Please contact for an appointment. https://www.sfu.ca/ombudsperson/contact_us.html
Submit your appeal to:
Secretary to the Senate Appeals Board
Maggie Benston Centre 3200
Burnaby campus, 8888 University Drive
Is your appeal for only selected courses?
If you are appealing for selected courses in a term (selective Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstances) please provide a clear timeline of events and an explanation as to why the courses were affected differently by the circumstances.
Students Registered with the Centre for Students with Disabilities
- The Senate Appeals Board does not consider appeals related directly to formal accommodations for disabling conditions. Please contact the Centre for Students with Disabilities. https://www.sfu.ca/students/disabilityaccess/contact-us.html
- Appeals by Students registered with the CSD can anticipate a delay in the review of their appeal as further consultation with the CSD for their advice and expertise will be required.
The Senate Appeals Board will review the written submission to determine if you have
(a) grounds for an appeal and
(b) if you have evidence to support your appeal.
The Board will then:
- Make a decision based on the documentation provided, or
- May ask you to appear at an in-person hearing.
Students are only asked to appear if the Board needs more information to make a decision on your appeal. The Secretary will contact you to book the date and time. Questions will be posed by the members of the Board and you will be provided with an opportunity to clarify your situation. You have the right to bring a support person with you.
If you have not indicated that you wish to attend an in-person hearing then the decision of the Senate Appeals Board is final.
Senate Appeals Non Disciplinary Appeal Application Form
Download the Senate appeal application
Senate Appeals Board Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference Beginning June 1, 2014
SAB Meeting Dates
All appeals are on a first come first serve basis. Depending on the volume and the complexity of appeals presented to the Board, submitting an appeal before the deadline does not guarantee your appeal will be heard on this date.
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 30, 2018.
Your application and relevant documentation are due in the Registrar's Office by noon on Monday, August 20, 2018.
Please contact the Secretary of the Senate Appeals Board at 778-782-3108 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.