Undergraduate Students

Co-operative Education

Co-operative Education is an educational model that formally integrates academic study with relevant, paid work experience. The standard co-op program consists of periods of academic study combined with periods of work experience in appropriate employment fields such as business, industry, government, the professions, not-for-profit and community-based organizations.

Student Financial Assistance in Co-Op

Students participating in a Co-Op term are able to apply for and receive government issued, student financial assistance, including both loans and grants (non-repayable funding).

Participating in a Co-Op term is not considered to be the same as having a full-time job when applying for student loan funding. When submitting their application, students must:

  • Apply for student aid funding on a term by term basis
  • Answer “yes” to the question “Between the date classes start and the date classes end, will you be on a co-op/paid work term?
  • Answer "no" to the question "Will you have a full time job during your study period?"

Contact a Financial Aid Advisor if participating in:

  • a Co-Op term and are enrolled in additional class(es)
  • an International Co-Op term

Maintaining in-study interest-free status in Co-Op

Enrollment in Co-op is considered the equivalent of full-time study; therefore, a Co-op student may apply for in-study interest-free status. See In Study Interest-Free Status (BC residents) for more information; otherwise check with your province of residence.  Students must submit a request for confirmation of enrollment on a term by term basis to update their student status.

Contact a Financial Aid Advisor for further information.

Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries in Co-Op

Students enrolled in a SFU Co-op term only are not eligible to apply for scholarships, awards and/or bursaries administered by Financial Aid and Awards since the 3 unit Co-op is not a standard graded course. Students must meet the minimum eligibility requirements listed for scholarships, awards, and/or bursaries.

*Students enrolled in a SFU International Co-Op term are eligible to apply for SFU International Co-op Education Bursaries and/or the SFU International Co-Op Education Awards.