Undergraduate Students

SFU Terry Fox Gold Medal Award

Financial Aid and Awards is now accepting applications for the Terry Fox Gold Medal Award granted to a student who has shown courage in adversity and dedication to society which have been exemplified by Terry Fox and his Marathon of Hope. For full terms of reference and award criteria, click here. Students can submit an application or be nominated by a referee who can recommend the student for this award.

To apply or nominate a student, submit a cover letter and/or reference letter(s) addressing the requirements of this award to faawards@sfu.ca.

The application deadline is May 31, 2024.

SFU Service Awards 

Every year, Financial Aid and Awards accepts applications for the SFU Service Awards. The SFU Service Awards recognize outstanding unpaid service to the University community and/or the community at large, leadership and volunteer work. These awards are available to SFU undergraduate students, but the B.C. Sugar Achievement Award and C.D. Nelson Memorial Award is also available to SFU Faculty members.

The 2024 Service Awards application period is now closed. Successful recipients will be notified in June.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for the SFU Service Awards, you must:

  • be in good academic standing and have a minimum CGPA of 2.00 at SFU during the term of application (waived in your first term at SFU).
  • be enrolled in a minimum of 9 units of standard graded courses at SFU in one of the following three terms: Fall 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024.

Students who have graduated are not eligible to apply.

Challenge, audit and credit-free courses are not considered.

Enrollment in a Co-op term (3 units) does not satisfy the enrollment requirement.

A student with a disability is eligible to apply for Service Awards if the student is enrolled in a minimum of 6 or more units of standard graded courses and meets all other eligibility requirements. At the time of application, the student has to provide a letter from SFU’s Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) confirming that the student is registered with the Centre (CAL).

How to apply

1. Review the 2024 Service Awards List  to determine which service awards you you want to apply for.

2. Apply on-line during the application period by logging in to the Student Information System (go.sfu.ca). (Student Center/Financial Aid and Awards/Apply for Scholarships/Awards). 

3. Submit the following supporting documentation to faawards@sfu.ca:

  • Unpaid Volunteer/Community Service Form
  • Reference Form 
    (2 references confirming unpaid volunteer service are required)
  • Résumé outlining unpaid volunteer service, including the dates and total hours of service for the past year (March 2023-March 2024).
  • SFU Co-Curricular Record (CCR), if available.
  • One page cover letter if required in the award's terms of reference.

4. Set up Direct Deposit (administered through the Student Accounts Office) as soon as possible, to receive any refunds you may be eligible to receive.