SFU Service Awards
Every year, Financial Aid and Awards accepts applications for the SFU Service Awards. The SFU Service Awards recognize outstanding unpaid service to the University community and/or the community at large, leadership and volunteer work. These awards are available to SFU undergraduate students, but the B.C. Sugar Achievement Award is also available to SFU Faculty members.
The 2023 Service Award application period is now closed. The recipients will be notified beginning to mid-June.
We are currently accepting applications for the Terry Fox Gold Medal. The application period will close May 26, 2023. Please review the Terms of Reference and submit your applications/supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for the SFU Service Awards you must:
- be in good academic standing and have a minimum CGPA of 2.00 at SFU during the term of application (waived in your first term at SFU).
- be enrolled in a minimum of 9 units of standard graded courses at SFU in one of the following three terms: Fall 2022, Spring 2023 or Summer 2023.
Students who have graduated are not eligible to apply.
Please note that 3 unit Co-op is not a standard graded course. Challenge, audit and credit-free courses are not considered.
A student with a disability is eligible to apply for Service Awards if the student is enrolled in a minimum of 6 or more units of standard graded courses and meets all other eligibility requirements. At the time of application, the student has to provide a letter from SFU’s Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) confirming that the student is registered with the Centre (CAL).
How to apply
1. Review the 2023 Service Awards List to determine which service awards you you want to apply for.
2. Apply on-line during the application period by logging in to the Student Information System (go.sfu.ca). (Student Center/Financial Aid and Awards/Apply for Scholarships/Awards).
3. Submit the following supporting documentation to email@example.com:
- Unpaid Volunteer/Community Service Form
- Reference Form
(2 references confirming unpaid volunteer service are required)
- Résumé outlining unpaid volunteer service, including the dates and total hours of service for the past year (March 2022-March 2023).
- SFU Co-Curricular Record (CCR), if available.
- One page cover letter if required in the award's terms of reference.
4. Set up Direct Deposit (administered through the Student Accounts Office) as soon as possible, to receive any refunds you may be eligible to receive.