- Records Management
- About FIPPA
- Privacy Management Program
- Access to Information (FOI)
- Breaches & Complaints
- Changes & Corrections
- Information Disclosure
- Privacy Impact Assessments
- Links and Resources
- Digital preservation
- Staff resources
- Faculty resources
- Researcher resources
- Donor resources
- Mission, vision and values
- Contact us
- Feedback and comments
- Our blog
- Archival Film Flashes Back to 70s Student Life
- Manuscript Traces SFU's Architectural History
- Early University News Publications Now Digitally Available
- Digitized Programs Commemorate SFU’s Opening & Installation Ceremonies
- Archives Celebrates Fall Convocation with Release of Digitized Programs
- Films Capture Visual History and Sentiment of Time Gone By
- Lost and Found: Simon Fraser Letters
- Oral History Provides Glimpse into Mind of SFU’s First Chancellor Gordon Shrum
- Early SFU Photos Tell a Story That Frames Our World
- Aerial Photos Capture Campus Landscape & Photographer’s Legacy
- You have what...?!! and other interesting things you didn't know about the SFU Archives
- Charting the course of history: documenting SFU's early days from the student perspective (Part 1)
- Charting the course of history: documenting SFU's early days from the student perspective (Part 2)
- Helping others find their history in the future: Preserving the records of the Students of Caribbean and African Ancestry at SFU
- Preserving the sparks of global revolution in the Adbusters Media Foundation fonds
- Reflections of a co-op student
- Debunking popular myths and conspiracies with the Barry Beyerstein fonds
- In "The Beginning...": First student film returns to SFU
- "Got any pictures of Terry Fox?"
- My summer in the archives: a co-op placement retrospective
- Seeing the world through Arthur Erickson's eyes
- Beer (records) in the Archives!
- Quartet in the Quadrangle: PSQ Records Come to SFU
- Navigating silences and filling gaps: finding Black stories in the Archives
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Simon Fraser University is entrusted with vast amounts of personal information about our students, employees, alumni and other third parties. As a public institution, we have both an ethical and a legal obligation to safeguard the privacy of the individuals about whom we collect personal information.
Safeguarding people’s privacy is a responsibility shared by members of each department team across our three campuses. SFU’s Privacy Management Program is here to support people and teams across the university, helping you handle the personal information you collect appropriately and assisting with any questions or concerns that may arise.
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) also gives members of the public a right to access records held by the University subject to limited exceptions. The Access and Privacy Program is here to assist applicants through the process of filing a formal access to information request and to advise university employees on their responsibilities in responding to the information needs of applicants accurately and completely.
Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act
What is FIPPA?
FIPPA is British Columbia’s legislation governing how public bodies, like the university, manage the personal information they collect about you.
Privacy Impact Assessments
A Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) is the university’s way of ensuring that all SFU projects, programs and initiatives comply with FIPPA.
Access to information
FIPPA establishes your right to access records managed by the university. It also establishes your right of access to your own personal information.
Breaches & complaints
If you believe personal information has been collected, accessed, used, disclosed, stored or retained inappropriately, that could be a breach. Learn how to report it.