- Campus public safety
- Campus security
- Keys, cards & alarms
- Traffic safety
Changes to SFU building access during the pandemic
Last updated: September 16, 2020
Please note: the east entrance to campus (and exit from) via the Applied Sciences building will be blocked off from May 4, 2020 until September 2021.
Due to significant concerns over thefts and intruders at SFU campuses, access to buildings will now be limited.
All SFU buildings, at all campuses, will remain “open”, however access will be limited consistent with the Provincial Health Officer’s advice to maximize social distancing and prevent the increase of theft.
- Limited access means the majority of perimeter doors for all buildings and all campuses will be locked, with specific doors unlocked between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
- For immediate or urgent access requests, please contact Campus Public Safety at 778-782-7991. For non-urgent access requests, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Access Request”. As you can expect, there may be delays with processing email requests, so please ensure you are giving advanced notice and including all relevant information (campus, date and location).
- Access is available only to SFU community members who present SFU ID. Uniformed security guards will be present to check SFU ID and log access for safety purposes;
- Signage will direct community members to accessible entry points, along with a contact number for further information;
- The majority of public washrooms will be locked. Signage will direct people to open washrooms along accessibility-friendly routes.
Please note: normal entrance locking/unlocking schedule still in effect. Changes to the below information will be updated as often as possible.
The following buildings are currently locked, but will be accessible to authorized SFU personnel. Please note, not all buildings are wired for fob access.
- Animal Care
- Applied Science Buiding (effective May 4th Entry from East Parking will be closed for construction - fob access enabled from south entry)
- Bee Research Annex
- Diamond Alumni Centre (DAC)
- Diamond Family Auditorium
- Discovery 1 (fob access enabled)
- Discovery 2 (fob access enabled)
- Facilities Services (fob access enabled)
- Lorne Davies Complex
- Observatory (fob access enabled)
- Residence Hall Office (fob access enabled)
- Residence Halls (fob access enabled)
- South East Classroom Block (fob access enabled)
- Science Buildings (all exterior doors locked, interior doors leading from Applied Sciences Building East Entrance and Academic Quadrangle West cannot be locked)
- Chemistry (fob access enabled)
- TASC 1 and 2 (fob access enabled)
- Strand Annex
Consistent with the Public Health Officer’s direction on social distancing and practices adopted by local cities, all SFU outdoor recreation facilities including fields and courts are closed. The running track remains open, with signage reminding users to practice social distancing.
The following buildings are currently locked overnight and opened daytime, weekdays with restricted access:
- Academic Quadrangle (access via 2000 west entry, off Convocation Mall)
- Blusson Hall (access via east entry by bus loop or north entry by parking lot)
- Education Building (accessible via AQ)
- Maggie Benson Centre (fob access from Convocation Mall)
- Robert C Brown Hall (fob access enabled)
- Saywell Hall (access via north entry by parking lot and via both AQ and Blusson Hall)
- Strand Hall - IT Services entry (other doors are fob access enabled)
- West Mall Centre (access via 9000 level)
24 hour unlocked buildings (individual unoccupied departments, offices, wings, and classrooms are locked):
- Transportation Centre Rotunda (no locks on automatic doors, individual offices are locked)
Harbour Centre – Building is on restricted access. UM Level mall access is closed. Hastings entrance is accessible by fob 24/7 and SFU ID between 0730 – 2230hrs.
Goldcorp – Building is on restricted access. Fob access is enabled 24/7. SFU ID access is available between 0730 – 2230hrs.
Segal Building – Building is on restricted access. Fob access is enabled between 0730 - 2230hrs. SFU ID access is available between 0730 – 2230hrs.
Wosk Centre for Dialogue – Building is secured. Fobs are disabled. Please forward access requests to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 778 782 5029.
Charles Chang Innovation Centre – 2nd floor RADIUS space is on restricted access. Please speak with your department administrator for further information. Simon Fraser University Residence remains open.
312 Main Street Offices, 611 Alexander Studios, Venture Labs, Beedie at Harbour Centre - all are on restricted access. Please contact your department administrator for further information.
Bill Reid Gallery - open Wednesday to Sunday 1100 – 1700hrs.
- Surrey Main Campus Building: Central City Mall will close when directed to by health authorities, which will enable fob access to original campus building (Surrey C). Unused offices/classrooms are locked.
- Sustainability Energy and Engineering Building secured and fob access is available.
- Other research-based leased Surrey spaces have been secured.