Length of Notice
A Member who is resigning must give the University at least one semester's notice of the effective date of their resignation, and where possible, longer notice period is preferred. Resignations will normally take effect at the end of a semester.
Term Librarian and Archivist Faculty
Members with term appointments are expected to provide a minimum of four weeks’ notice of resignation.
- A Member must submit their Resignation Notice-Acknowledgement Form to their Chair or supervisor.
- The Chair shall consider the resignation and shall forward the notice-acknowledgement to the Dean, along with a summary of the number of teaching and research semesters the faculty member has taken over the period of employment at the University, together with their comments on whether or not the conditions of the policy have been met. If there is an imbalance in the teaching and research semester ratio and if a reassignment to correct such imbalance is suggested, mention of this must be made.
- Provided that due notice has been given and the teaching and research semester ratio is in order, the Dean shall accept the resignation of the faculty member, and forward the notice-acknowlegement to the Vice-President, Academic.
- In the event that there is either an imbalance in the teaching and research semester ratio, or that due notice has not been given, the Dean may determine the conditions under which the resignation will be accepted.
- The Vice-President, Academic, by way of the Faculty Relations office, will acknowledge receipt of resignation through a final letter to the employee.
- The Vice-President, Academic, shall forward notice of the resignation to the President for information of the Board of Governors.
- If a dispute arises between the faculty member and their Chair and/or Dean on the terms of the resignation, the Vice-President Academic shall, on consideration of the available facts, decide the issue.
Collective Agreement Articles:
Article 48: Resignation
Article 27: Research Faculty Workload (27.16) -TTR balance prior to resignation
Article 43: Economic Benefits (43.49; 43.54)
Resignation and PDR
Article 47: Leaves of Absence (47.26)
Resigning within one year after a leave
Article 50: Release of Equipment