Contract Renewal, Tenure and Promotion
- Research and Teaching RTP Timelines (Updated May 11/21)
- Referee Template Letter and Guidelines - University Lecturer (NEW)
- Examples of candidate's work that we have seen for this new rank are: journal articles, unique course materials, textbook or book chapters, student success project materials (or reports).
- Referee Template Letter and Guidelines - Tenure-Track (NEW)
- Form to Record Final List of Referees
- Original signed Reference or Referee letters are preferred, but not necessary to proceed with the RTP review.
- If the Dean and/or Chair are satisfied that the referee/reference letter is from the referee, even if the signature is electronic, then the letter will be acceptable to us for RTP review. Please address in your memos.
- October 17, 2017 Chairs/Directors/Associate Dean Workshop
- Multiple Ways to Assess Teaching (New from CCE)
- Summary Form of RTP Cases
- Faculty members' COVID-19 Impact Statement (New)
Submission Checklists for Renewal, Tenure & Promotion
2021-2022 ***Checklist have been updated***
- Contract Renewal
- Promotion - Laboratory Instructor to Lecturer
- Promotion - Lecturer to Senior Lecturer
- Promotion - Senior Lecturer to University Lecturer
- Tenure-Promotion - Research Faculty
Q: I was hired as an Instructor and just received my PhD, what do I do now?
A: At any time after the completion of academic or professional training, an Instructor may submit proof of completion to the TPC. The Chair of the TPC will then inform the Dean and the Vice-President, Academic (by way of Faculty Relations) that the condition for promotion to Assistant Professor has been fulfilled. A letter will come from the President confirming renewal, tenure & promotion dates, and any update to salary. The promotion will take effect at the beginning of the month following submission of degree completion documentation to the TPC, and a letter updating salary will go out from
Q: Can I apply early for promotion to Associate Professor or Senior Lecturer?
Senior Lecturer - stipulations and timeline under sections 35.53 to 35.54 (Early Promotion).
Associate Professor - stipulations and timeline under sections 30.17 to 30.21 (Acceleration of Consideration (Early Tenure)).
Q: At what point can I withdraw from a promotion consideration to Full Professor or for Lecture Faculty?
A: Consideration for promotion to Professor or for Lecture Faculty is not mandatory and withdrawal can occur at any time until the Dean forwards their recommendation to the President or the Faculty Review Committee (30.31).
Q: What is the expectation around language of publications, references, etc.? I have published and written a great deal in my native language.
A: SFU operates and conducts its business primarily using the English language. Except in unavoidable situations or when faculty members in a bilingual cognate area are being evaluated, the process will be conducted in English and external referees will be asked for their evaluations in English.
If translation of documents is required for the appointments process and by Search Committees, or for Renewal, Tenure or Promotion Reviews including FRC appeals, it should be normally completed by professional translators.