Contract Renewal, Tenure and Promotion

2018 RTP Procedures Memo

RTP Summary PowerPoint


Referee Letters

  • Original signed Reference or Referee letters are preferred, but not necessary to proceed with the RTP review.
  • If the Dean and/or Chair are satisfied that the referee/reference letter is from the referee, even if the signature is electronic, then the letter will be acceptable to us for RTP review.


Submission Checklists for Renewal, Tenure & Promotion



Common Questions

Q: I was hired as an Instructor and just received my PhD, what do I do now?
A: At any time after the completion of academic or professional training, an Instructor may submit proof of completion to the TPC. The Chair of the TPC will then inform the Dean and the Vice-President, Academic that the condition for promotion to Assistant Professor has been fulfilled (through Faculty Relations). The promotion will take effect at the beginning of the month following submission of degree completion documentation to the TPC.

Q: Can I apply early for promotion to Associate Professor or Senior Lecturer?
Senior Lecturer - stipulations and timeline under sections 35.53 to 35.54 (Early Promotion).

Associate Professor - stipulations and timeline under sections 30.17 to 30.21 (Acceleration of Consideration (Early Tenure)).

Q: At what point can I withdraw from a promotion consideration to Full Professor or for Lecture Faculty?
A: Consideration for promotion to Professor or for Lecture Faculty is not mandatory and withdrawal can occur at any time until the Dean forwards their recommendation to the President or the Faculty Review Committee (30.31).


Contact the Faculty Relations Advisor handling inquiries for your Faculty.