- Records Management
- About FIPPA
- Privacy Management Program
- Access to Information (FOI)
- Breaches & Complaints
- Changes & Corrections
- Information Disclosure
- Privacy Impact Assessments
- Links and Resources
- Digital preservation
- Staff resources
- Faculty resources
- Researcher resources
- Donor resources
- Mission, vision and values
- Contact us
- Feedback and comments
- Our blog
- Archival Film Flashes Back to 70s Student Life
- Manuscript Traces SFU's Architectural History
- Early University News Publications Now Digitally Available
- Digitized Programs Commemorate SFU’s Opening & Installation Ceremonies
- Archives Celebrates Fall Convocation with Release of Digitized Programs
- Films Capture Visual History and Sentiment of Time Gone By
- Lost and Found: Simon Fraser Letters
- Oral History Provides Glimpse into Mind of SFU’s First Chancellor Gordon Shrum
- Early SFU Photos Tell a Story That Frames Our World
- Aerial Photos Capture Campus Landscape & Photographer’s Legacy
- You have what...?!! and other interesting things you didn't know about the SFU Archives
- Charting the course of history: documenting SFU's early days from the student perspective (Part 1)
- Charting the course of history: documenting SFU's early days from the student perspective (Part 2)
- Helping others find their history in the future: Preserving the records of the Students of Caribbean and African Ancestry at SFU
- Preserving the sparks of global revolution in the Adbusters Media Foundation fonds
- Reflections of a co-op student
- Debunking popular myths and conspiracies with the Barry Beyerstein fonds
- In "The Beginning...": First student film returns to SFU
- "Got any pictures of Terry Fox?"
- My summer in the archives: a co-op placement retrospective
- Seeing the world through Arthur Erickson's eyes
- Beer (records) in the Archives!
- Quartet in the Quadrangle: PSQ Records Come to SFU
- Navigating silences and filling gaps: finding Black stories in the Archives
- Boxes, boxes, and more boxes: my summer co-op at SFU Archives
SFU Archives supports personal and academic research in a wide range of fields. The following list is a sample of works that reference material in the Archives' research holdings. For details on archival fonds consulted for a specific research publication, please contact the Reference Archivist at email@example.com or 778-782-3805.
Books and theses
Bates, Barbara. Pioneering of the Simon Fraser Univerisity Daycare: The Early Years 1965-1974. 2019. Simon Fraser University, PhD dissertation.
Grau, Christoph. Die Psychiatrie in China: Von der späten Kaiser- bis zum Ende der Republikzeit (1898-1949). 2013. Free University Berlin, MA thesis.
Johnston, Hugh. Radical Campus: Making Simon Fraser University. Vancouver, Douglas & McIntyre, 2005.
Jones, Hilary, et al. Remembering SFU on the Occassion of its 50th Birthday. Ed. Maurice Gibbons. Burnaby, Simon Fraser University Retirees Association, 2016.
McCutcheon, Doug. A History of Beekeeping in British Columbia from 1950 to 2000. Vancouver, BC Honey Producers' Association, 2013.
Merchant, V.E. A Charter Student at SFU. Vernon, self-published, 2020.
Mitchell, David J. W.A.C. Bennett and the Rise of British Columbia. Vancouver, Douglas & McIntyre, 2005
Pleshakov, Jo. Thorley Park to Brock House: From Family Home to Heritage Landmark, 1912-2012. Vancouver, Brock House Society, 2012.
Reimers, Mia. "BC at its Most Sparkling, Colourful Best": Post-war Province Building through Centennial Celebrations. 2007. University of Victoria, PhD thesis.
Rossi, Dino. Mountaintop Mayhem: Simon Fraser University, 1965-1971. 2003. Simon Fraser University, MA thesis.
Sethna, Cristabelle and Steve Hewitt. Just Watch Us: RCMP Surveillance of the Women's Liberation Movement in Cold War Canada. Montreal, McGill-Queen's University Press, 2018.
Sia, Rosanne. Making and Defending Intimate Spaces: White Waitresses Policed in Vancouver's Chinatown Cafes. 2010. University of British Columbia, MA thesis.
Stouck, David. Arthur Erickson: An Architect's Life. Vancouver, Douglas & McIntyre, 2010.
van Haaften-Schick, Lauren, et al. Seth Seigelaub: "Better Read Than Dead", Writings and Interviews, 1964-2013. London, Koenig Books, 2020.
Wells, Karin. The Abortion Caravan: When Women Shut Down Government in the Battle for the Right to Choose. Toronto, Second Story Press, 2020.
Documentaries and films
Bates, James. "Freedom Square." YouTube, uploaded by James Bates, 9 May 2014, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOjdBZ1rE8.
Farrell, Michael and James Cybulski. Terry Fox Video Compilation 2. The Terry Fox Foundation, 2011.
Fowler, Luke, director. Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett. Western Front, 2017.
Johnstone, Meg and Paula Sawadsky. The Graduates: A History of Higher Education in BC. Knowledge Network, 2008.
Wells, Karin. "The Women are Coming." Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. The Sunday Edition, 1 Jun 2018.
Turner, Guinevere, Mary Harron and Karlene Faith, writers. Charlie Says. IFC Films, 2018.
Lancaster, John. "Dressing by Degrees: Academic Dress in British Columbia 1866-1966." Transactions of the Burgon Society, vol. 16, 2016.
Martin, Jack. "Ernest Becker at Simon Fraser University (1969-1974)." Journal of Humanistic Psychology, vol. 54, no. 1, 2014. 66-112.
Sethna, Christabelle and Steve Hewitt. "Clandestine Operations: The Vancouver Women's Caucus, the Abortion Caravan, and the RCMP." The Canadian Historical Review, vol. 90, no. 3, 2009.
Newspaper articles and publications
Devries, Justin. "Bringing the sounds of Indonesia to Vancouver." The Vancouver Historical Society Newsletter, vol. 61, no. 6, 2022.
Mackie, John. "A hidden treasure of 1960s Vancouver recordings resurfaces." Vancouver Sun, 30 Dec 2019.
McLeod, Brad and Austin Cozicar. The Tartan. Peak Publications Society, 2015.
Naylor, Cornelia. "Should SFU ditch the 'Clan' Nickname?" Burnaby Now, 23 Sep 2017.
Soltau, Carolyn. "Simon Fraser University: 50 Years, 50 Facts." The Province, 31 Jan 2016.
Pamphlets and brochures
Liberal Arts Courses and Events: September-December 2019. SFU Continuing Studies, 2019.
Performances and exhibitions
Bischoff, Alexandra. Rereading Room: The Vancouver Women's Bookstore. Nov. 10 - Jan. 14 2017, Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery, Vancouver.
Last updated: Jan. 4, 2021 (ML)
Submit a researcher publication
The SFU Archives is happy to promote and display publications that reference material in our holdings. To submit publications, please upload a PDF copy of your work using the Submit a Researcher Publication Form linked to below, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.