Tax Information (T2202)
(Spring, Summer, Fall terms)
Includes payments up to
12 February 2010
Duplicates - self-serve at the Student Information System Nil If payments were made after 12 February 2010 Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an amendment be generated for downloadingNil 2008
Duplicates - self-serve at the Student Information System. If you no longer have access to the system, please visit the Registrar and Information Services counter at any of our three campuses and we will print a duplicate for you, or email your request to email@example.com
T2202 tax receipts which report tuition paid for credit courses in 2021 are now available at goSFU.
- If you were also an employee of SFU, please visit myINFO to obtain your T4/T4A tax forms, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continuing Studies students may be able to claim tax credits. See Continuing Studies Tax Information.
- SFU staff are not able to answer tax-related questions. If you have other questions about tuition and enrollment credit, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly.
Social Insurance Number
What is a T2202?
T2202, the Tuition and Enrolment Certificate, is the tuition tax receipt issued to all students who paid tuition for courses in the previous calendar year. It shows the amount of tuition that you paid.
The tax form for the current tax year will be available for printing at goSFU in late February of the next year.
How do I file my taxes?
For information on filing your income tax return, please go to Revenue Canada's P105 Students help page.
How do I get my T2202?
Active students, Alumni, and all previous students at SFU
- To print your T2202, sign in at goSFU. Tax data for the previous seven years are available.
- For the purpose of printing tax forms, SFU computing IDs do not expire.
- Forgot your password?
- Email SFU IT Services at email@example.com or call 778-782-8888 for assistance in resetting your password.
- Cannot log in to goSFU?
- The message “invalid credentials” would indicate your password may have been reset in 2020. Email SFU IT Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-782-8888 for assistance in resetting your password.
- Note: SFU staff are not able to access or print your tax slips for you.
- If you require additional copies of the tax forms for parents or accountants you must print them from that page.
Printing your online T2202
- Log in to goSFU with your SFU ID and password
- Click "T2202 Data"
- Click the tax year of interest in the search result section.
- From the T2202 Data page, click "Printer-friendly T2202".
- A printer-friendly T2202 should appear in a separate window (with the Canadian flag and "Canada Revenue Agency" at the top left corner). If this window does not appear, please go to your web browser preferences to allow pop-ups (you can allow them temporarily or just for specific sites).
Having trouble getting your T2202?
Possible fixes to try first:
- If you've logged in and viewed your form but can't print, the computer you're using may be behind a firewall for security, so try a different computer in a different location.
- If you can log in but can't see the T2202 information, quit your browser, reopen it and clear your cache, then try logging in to goSFU again.
If you receive an error message, please email a screenshot of the message to email@example.com
If none of those solutions has worked, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Will SFU send me the T2202 by email?
No. Log in to goSFU to print your T2202.
Can SFU give the T2202 information to my parents/accountant/income tax preparer?
We will only disclose a student's tax information to another individual provided that we receive written/faxed authorization from the student authorizing the release of their tax information to that individual. Under no circumstances will any information about the student be released to another individual without first receiving this authorization.
Am I still considered a full time student during a Co-op work term?
According to the CRA a student enrolled in a co-op term (and taking no classes) is considered neither a full time nor part time student. CRA regulations require SFU to report "0" months on the T2202 tax form when a student is enrolled only in co-op during a term.
I am a student with disabilities enrolled part-time. Where do I get more information on making a full-time claim?
According to Canada Revenue Agency a student is also considered a full-time student if they were enrolled in a qualifying education program, attended only part-time, and are eligible for the disability tax credit for the year.
I paid a deposit fee but will not be attending SFU until next year. Do I get a T2202?
No. Deposits are not eligible expenses for T2202 purposes unless you have actually attended classes. If you paid an admission deposit and then declined your offer of admission, you will not receive a T2202.
I am an international student. Why do I need a T2202?
SFU is required to report this information to all students to enable them to complete their Canadian income tax returns.
As a resident of Canada you are required to file a Canadian income tax return. The T2202 is a tax receipt for the tuition you have paid that can be used as a deduction against income you may have earned while in Canada. Your employer issues a T4 for salaries or wages you have earned while in Canada. The University issues a T4A for scholarships, bursaries or other monetary awards you received during the calendar year.
If you have not received any income in Canada during the calendar year, you may be able to use the T2202 against income you or your parents received in your home country. Contact an income tax professional or International Services for Students for more information.
I am a US student: what is SFU's IRS number?
SFU's IRS number is 30-0505256.
Where can I get more information on the T2202?
Canada Revenue Agency websites:
- Students and Income Tax: www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/p105.html
- International Students in Canada: www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/international-students-studying-canada.html/
If I made a payment after December 31, how do I get an updated version of the T2202?
|Includes payments up to February 25 2022
||Duplicates - log in to goSFU|
|If payments were made after February 25 2022
||Email email@example.com to request an amendment be generated for downloading|
In compliance with Canada Revenue Agency legislation, tax records are not needed or available after seven (7) years.
Is my SIN number required on the T2202?
To whom at SFU can I direct T2202 inquiries?
Please call the helpline at 778.782.6930 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you email us, be sure to include your name, student number, current mailing address, and the year you require.