- News & Events
- Affiliated Programs
- Clean Energy Research Group
- Feminist Mobilization and Economic Empowerment
- NATO Field School
- The Governance of Migration
- HC 2124
- B.A. (cum laude), Harvard University
- M.A., University of Toronto
- Ph.D., University of Toronto
Research and Supervision Fields
- Comparative Public Policy
- Transportation, Environmental and Energy Policy
- Urban Governance
- Public Enterprise
- Policy Advisory Work
- Public Policy & Democratic Governance
My research crosses disciplinary and national boundaries to explore policy decisions made about transportation, cities and the environment. I have published in dozens of scholarly journals, including Energy Policy, Transport Policy, Transportation Research, Journal of Transport Geography, World Transport Policy and Practice, Journal of Air Transport Management, Transportation Research Record, Journal of Public Policy, Canadian Public Policy, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, Journal of Planning Education and Research, Journal of Urban Technology, Canadian Journal of Political Science and Scientific American. My work has been awarded prizes for outstanding papers presented at the World Conference on Transport Research and the Canadian Transportation Research Forum.
I have advised governments in Australia, Belgium, Canada, France and the United States on transportation and environmental research and policy development. I served on the board of VIA Rail, Canada’s national passenger railway. I have chaired the Rail Group of the U.S. Transportation Research Board (TRB), a division of the National Academies of Science, Medicine and Engineering. I am currently a Fellow of the Post-Carbon Institute and Adjunct Professor of Urban Studies at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia. Closer to home, I sit on the Vancouver City Planning Commission.
- 2010. Transport Revolutions: Moving People and Freight Without Oil. Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers (edited with Richard Gilbert).
- 2009. Studying Public Policy: Policy Cycles and Policy Subsystems, Third Edition. Don Mills, Ontario: Oxford University Press Canada (with Michael Howlett & M. Ramesh).
- 2018. “Policy-making and Truthiness: Can Existing Policy Models Cope with Politicized Evidence and Willful Ignorance in a ‘Post-Fact’ World?” Policy Sciences, DOI: 10.1007/s11077-018-9334-4 (with Michael Howlett and M. Ramesh).
- 2017. “Rethinking Transport Infrastructure Planning to Extend Its Value over Time.” Journal of Planning Education and Research, DOI: 10.1177/0739456X17741196 (with Moshe Givoni.
- 2015. “Streets Paved with Gold: Urban Expressway Building and Global City Formation in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.” Canadian Journal of Urban Research 24 (2): 91-116 (with Matt Hern and Jeff Kenworthy).