- Clean Energy Research Group
- Feminist Mobilization and Economic Empowerment
- The Governance of Migration
- News & Events
- Affiliated Programs
- NATO Field School
The Honours program is intended to give students advanced knowledge of political science. Students complete 60 upper division units for the Honours degree, which provides a broad background in the field, as well as the chance to concentrate on one specific area of interest.
Applications for 2021 are now closed.
The small class sizes in upper-division seminars mean that Honours students develop personal relationships with professors and classmates. In their final year, Honours students complete a 5-unit Honours essay, working closely with a faculty supervisor to complete a research project. For many students, the chance to choose a topic of personal interest, design a reading list and research plan, and write the essay with close consultation of their supervisor make the Honours Essay the highlight of their undergraduate career.
- Your CGPA is at least 3.0.
- Your UDGPA is at least 3.33.
- You have completed at least 75 units, and are within three (3) terms of completing your degree.
Honours degree requirements:
- 120 units total – 60 Upper Division units total
- 48 Upper Division POL units, including POL 499-5 Honours Essay and POL 490-5 Honours Seminar. An additional 8 of these 48 units must be at the 400-level (see calendar for details).
- Completed Honours Application form (download form below)
- Identify two potential faculty members to supervise your Honours essay
- SFU advising transcript
- 250-word statement of interest
- Writing sample (usually a course paper)
- June 7th annually
- Political Science Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org