Graduate Students

Student Financial Assistance: Out of Province Residents

If you are not a resident of B.C., you must apply to the province or territory in which you are considered to be a resident.  Student financial assistance includes both loan and grant  (non-repayable) funding and students are automatically considered for all types of funding offered when they submit an application.

For government-issued, student financial assistance purposes, residency is defined as the last province you lived in for 12 continuous months without being a full-time post-secondary student and will depend on whether or not you are a dependent or an independent student.

Provincial and Territorial Contacts

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) Applicants

OSAP students (all undergraduates, and graduates in per unit programs) must apply for funding on a term-by term basis. This means completing a separate application for each term for which you require student financial assistance. If you have submitted an application for multiple terms, when Financial Aid and Awards submits your Program Information Form (PIF), we will adjust your application to a single term only.  This may mean that you will need to adjust reported resources from multiple terms back down to a single term application.  If you have any questions, please reach out to us by email.

OSAP graduate students in research-based programs can continue to apply for funding for one or more terms within the academic year (September – August).

Program Information Forms (PIF)

If your province or territory requires a Program Information Form (PIF) to be completed by SFU Financial Aid and Awards, please provide us with the following details by email ( in order to complete your PIF as accurately as possible:

Which terms are you applying for funding for?  (Fall, Fall/Spring, Spring, Fall/Spring/Summer or Summer). Please note if you apply for the full academic year you will receive your first disbursement in September, and your second disbursement in March and must plan accordingly.

What is your intended course load each term in units (if you are in a research based Masters or PhD, please indicate this):

Do you have a recognized permanent disability through your provincial or territorial student aid office?

Please note that OSAP students are no longer required to complete the Course Load form and must submit a term by term application for funding.

Confirmation of Enrollment

Students are responsible for maintaining interest-free status with their lenders. Please contact your lenders with any questions.

In order to keep your Canada and Provincial Student Loans interest-free, you will need to confirm full-time enrollment either by having full-time student loan funding disbursed, or by applying for interest-free status.

Submit the required online confirmation of enrollment if you have an integrated student loan, or contact your loan provider or provincial or territorial office directly for guidance.



Please note: Government-issued student financial assistance, including loans and grants, is available to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or students that have protected person status based on your province of residence. US Residents can be considered for US Federal Direct Funding and other targeted resources. If you belong to a different student group, please see our International Students page.