- Enter now
- Get credit
News & stories
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Wow! Over 80 registered and 27 ideas submitted
- A bit of passion and commitment
- Reflections on a community health engagement program
- Two new awards for engaging Burnaby
- Only one more night of Compose The Space
- Contact us
Team members: Danielle Kwok, Harman Gill, Kishan Parekh and Kyleen Lee
Media Minds is an after school program for newcomer students in grades 6-9. By developing students’ interpersonal and communication skills through videography, Media Minds is able to ease the transition of newcomers into the community. Through a series of 10-week workshops at select schools and community organizations with high immigrant populations, these students will learn real videography skills such as storyboarding, character development, filming and editing. Students are also given the opportunity to help plan a year-end screening event that displays the videos created by these students gaining valuable business skills in the process. As these students work with their fellow peers and assigned mentors, they are able to develop teamwork, interpersonal skills as well as higher levels of confidence through these projects.
2016 Surrey Grand Award Winner
Hey, students – do you have an idea to ignite change?
Get funded to work together with your community to bring that idea to life? Amazing things happen when people come together (especially when you win up to $3,000 to work with)!
Register today – all you need is your name and a brief description of your idea.