- Enter now
- Competition Info
- ACSSPA Sewing Mask Project
- Art for Comfort: Art for Connection
- BC Newcomer Camp
- Burnaby Mountain Festival
- Generation BXY
- Glow Within Foundation
- Haida Nerds
- Hastings Folk Garden Sound Map
- Indigenous Tutoring and Mentoring Program (ITMP)
- Math Walks
- NaloxHome SFU
- OMG I have ADHD
- Public Health Speaks
- ReRooting Relationships
- Singing Our Truths: Telling Our Stories
- Voices 4 Reconciliation
- Young Minds Exploring Science
- News & stories
- These 18 teams are springing into action with community
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Contact us
Projects and competitions 2018
BURNABY GRAND AWARD WINNER
Filling the Gap
A 24-hour social innovation challenge that brings together students from across a wide variety of disciplines to co-create meaningful projects to tackle food security in Surrey and Burnaby.
Team members: Sumara Stroshein (Health Sciences), Naveed Hassanzadeh (Molecular Biology and Biochemistry), Andrew Sheroubi (Chemical Engineering, UBC)
BURNABY ENGAGEMENT AWARD WINNER
Zero Waste Fest
A half-day festival that aims to bring together regional sustainable businesses and engage the Burnaby community in sustainability and the Zero Waste Movement.
Team members: Amanda Kan (Sustainable Business) and Christina Lei (Business).
SURREY GRAND AWARD WINNER
A project to co-create a Surrey-inspired colouring book for refugee children ages 4 through 10, featuring the city’s diversity, showcasing its resources and amenities, and providing helpful information.
Team members: Adrian Genge (Health Sciences), Renmart Buhay (Biomedical Physiology), and Alanah Lam (Psychology).
SURREY ENGAGEMENT AWARD WINNER & BURNABY FESTIVAL OF LEARNING AWARD
A series of full-day, free science workshops for children and families run in partnership with local community organizations to facilitate increased diversity in STEM through engaging and fun exposure to science.
Team members: Payten Smith, Vienna Lam, Cassidy Smith, Tayler Schmidt, Naomi Zakimi, all from the School of Criminology.
2018 FINALISTS - NEWCOMER AND REFUGEE ENGAGEMENT
NEWCOMER & REFUGEE ENGAGEMENT GRAND AWARD
Using photography to tell the diverse, intersectional stories of ten self-identified refugees living in Vancouver. Ayan Ismail, an SFU student in the International Studies program, positions the project to go beyond the sympathetic and disempowering mainstream media narratives that paint refugees as people needing to be saved.
NEWCOMER & REFUGEE ENGAGEMENT AWARD
Bridging the Gap
A project to bring together second-generation immigrant youth, family members and community stakeholders in a series of dialogues about unique stressors, mental health and wellbeing.
Team members: Benta Cheng (BSc), Hussein ElHageHassan, Katrina Jang, Stephanie Lam, Janani Ravikularam, all from Health Sciences at SFU.
What would you do with $3,000?
Up to $30,000* is available to fund SFU students who want to work with community partners to create meaningful impact.
Maybe you’re working on an existing idea for a class you’re taking, through a student club or another organization, or maybe you just have an amazing idea that keeps you up at night.... Whatever it is, we want to hear from you!
Start the process now by registering today – all you need is your passion and an idea.