Engaged Global Citizenship Community
The Engaged Global Citizenship Community brings together students who are excited to build authentic relationships across cultures where they will be given the opportunity to broaden their perspectives and networks and engage in issues facing our world.
This community participates in a series of workshops and activities designed by SFU’s International Services for Students office in conjunction with Fraser International College. They help develop intercultural communication skills while also creating opportunities for you to critically assess and reflect on global citizenship, your own cultural and self-awareness, and explore perspectives on diversity and inclusion.
- Students who participate in the Engaged Global Citizenship LLC will receive credit on their co-curricular record
- Students will receive experience in custom programming focused on diversity, intercultural competency, and communication.
- Students will build their international experience right here at SFU – “more than 80% of employers consider grads with cross-cultural and global competencies as assets to their company" (www.universityworks.ca).
- Students should expect to commit approximately two hours during a regular week. The more involved you are, the more you will get out of the experience.
- Students in the Engaged Global Citizenship Living-Learning Community must be available on Fridays in each semester from 10:30am-12:00pm for their workshops.
- Workshops will occur weekly at the start of the semester, and then shift to a mix of biweekly and weekly towards the end of the semester to support increased study time prior to exams.
- Eligibility: All full-time undergraduate SFU and FIC students are eligible to apply. SFU exchange students are eligible as long as you are here for two terms (fall 2019 and spring 2020).
- Additional Cost: No additional cost.
- Program Length: September 2019 – April 2020