- The Towers
- Shell House
- McTaggart-Cowan Hall
- The Townhouses
- Hamilton Hall
- Charles Chang Innovation Centre
- Living Learning Communities
- Off-campus housing
- Residence tours
- Housing comparison
- Moving in
- Contact us
While all of SFU residence is a learning community, you also have the option to apply to one of the specific Living Learning Communities (LLC)* which are grouped around a particular focus with additional support and programming. LLCs connect students academically and socially while creating a space for continued learning, personal growth and strong connections with other students, staff and faculty outside of the classroom.
*Please note that all of our Living Learning Communities are gender inclusive (co-ed) and are currently scheduled to be located in McTaggart-Cowan Hall for 2019-2020. The location of the Indigenous Student Cultural House for 2019-2020 is currently being determined. A final decision will be communicated to all applicants by spring 2019.
How you benefit
Students who participate in living learning communities are more likely to feel they had an easier transition into university life, a higher sense of community and belonging in residence. They have higher levels of academic self-confidence and are more likely to successfully engage in academic projects (such as honours), study abroad opportunities, and research/capstone projects. Students who participate in LLC communities are more likely to become student leaders and mentors.
(National Study of Living Learning Programs, 2007; Spanierman, Soble, Mayfield, Neville, Aber, Khuri, & De La Rosa, 2013).
How to apply
When completing your housing application, apply for one of SFU’s Living Learning Communities (LLC). You will be asked to complete a questionnaire explaining your interest in becoming a part of that specific LLC. You must have a completed housing application (fully filled out and application fee paid) in order to be considered for a LLC.
- All completed LLC applications will be reviewed starting in late February and will continue until the LLCs are full.
- If you apply and are accepted to a LLC, your housing offer will be for this LLC. If you receive a LLC housing offer and wish to live elsewhere in residence (including living on a specialty floor), you will need to decline your LLC Housing offer and will then be placed on the Residence and Housing wait list at this time.
- As LLC space is limited, you will still be considered for a space in housing outside of your LLC preference. This will be based on the date of your completed housing application (including your application fee).