- Why Live In Residence
- Housing Options
- North Towers
- East/West Towers
- Courtyard Residence
- Shell House
- McTaggart-Cowan Hall
- The Townhouses
- Hamilton Hall
- Charles Chang Innovation Centre
- Family Housing
- Housing Comparison + Eligibility
- Residence Tours
- Off-Campus Housing
- Living Learning Communities
- Moving in
- Community hub
- Maintenance and services
- Contracts and handbooks
- Important dates and announcements
- Meal Plan
- Move out
- Room switch
- Room stay
- New residence buildings
- Contact us
- Guest Accommodations
- COVID-19 Information
If you are planning to switch or room swap, please refer to the information on this page. Utilize the cleaning guides we have created for each building. Make sure to return your keys and clean your (shared) space to avoid the charges. The room switch instructions apply to all residents living in both the Burnaby and Vancouver residences.
Room Switch Requests (other than priority requests) are only reviewed during certain times of the term:
- After the third week of the term. This is to give residents the opportunity to arrive and adjust to their new community.
- Before the last three weeks of the term end. This is to ensure minimum disruption during exams.
- For a request to be reviewed, you must fill out a Room Switch Request Form that can be found on MyPlace@SFU (under My Room).
- Submission of the form does not guarantee that your room switch application will be approved.
- All requests are reviewed by the Residence Life Team and you may need to meet with your Residence Life Coordinator to discuss your request.
- You can view the status of your room switch request on MyPlace@SFU. For example, if there is no room available for your room switch request, your status will show 'In Queue'.
Priority requests (indicated on the form submitted through the portal)
- Priority 1: Medical or Safety requests with documented and proven medical (i.e. through the Centre for Accessible Learning CAL) or safety needs.
- Priority 2: Comfort: where residents are experiencing distress or suffering due to the current community environment. (ex. noise or community / roommate conflict)
- Priority 3: All other requests.
If you are room switching for your next contract term (ie. from Spring to Summer or Summer to Fall):
- Know when your room switch date is - you will need to room switch/vacate your current room on that day
- Our facilities staff will inspect residence rooms/bedspaces after a resident moves out, generally within a day or two
- Our facilities staff will inspect all shared space areas (including townhouse shared spaces) on move out day or the day after move out and again after a room switcher moves out
- Our facilities staff will re-inspect all shared spaces (including Townhouse shared spaces) prior to Move In day
- Ensure that when you move out, that your room has been cleaned and your key is returned ON TIME to avoid charges
Five steps to a successful room switch
Step 1: Report any maintenance issues
Step 2: Remove all garbage + recycle
Step 3: Clean your (shared) space
Clean your (shared) space to avoid the cleaning charges.
Everyone's responsibility is to clean their shared spaces including Bathroom, Kitchen, Fridge, Stove and Living Room.
Our maintenance staff will take photographs of any rooms that are left unclean, untidy, or damaged. Refer to the room condition/inventory form you completed when you moved in. Any damage or items needing repair will have been reported on this form and this will be the standard used to assess whether your room is left in the same condition it was received.
Step 4: Return your key on time
Return your key ON TIME to avoid late charges or lock change charges.
Hand in your key and make sure to get a key receipt (or drop key in the after-hours key drop box at the office). If you are remaining in the same room for the next term, you should not return your key.
Burnaby: Return your key to SFU Residence and Housing Office
Vancouver: Return your key to the drop box located beside the mail boxes in the lobby. On move out day a residence administrator will be present as well (during regular working hours).
Step 5: Dining Commons
Stay informed on the Dining Commons and their hours of operations.
OFF CAMPUS STORAGE
Residence and Housing does not provide any on campus or off campus storage to residents who are moving in, moving out, or staying in between terms. Each student is responsible for researching and finding adequate off campus storage that is suitable for your needs.
|Lost key/lock change charge
||$25 - $400|
|Lost fob/not returned||$20|
|Cleaning and damage||$140 average (where assessed)|
|Moving cart late return charge
||Overdue rental charge $50 per hour (or each portion of an hour) to a max of $350|
|All charges can be found on Charges PDF